biodegradable shampoo and soap

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, richardGS

biodegradable shampoo and soap

Postby sweeth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:06 am

Hi Everyone

Does anyone have a good suggestion of where to get shampoo, conditioner and soap that is natural and biodegradable?
I don't really want to dry out my skin however, so something that is somewhat good for the skin too? LOL
I know such a girl comment. :shock:
sweeth
User Rank: Weekender

Re: biodegradable shampoo and soap

Postby elaine.the.brain » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:36 pm

Hey, you should check out Lush: http://www.lush.com as they are pretty eco-friendly. I think they add a bit too much perfume to their products for my liking; going in a store or just walking past one can give you a headache!
elaine.the.brain
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Alyssa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:17 pm

Hi there,

Check out Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soaps http://www.drbronner.com - it is completely biodegradable and vegetable based. It's made with organic oils and did not dry out my skin. I took a 2 oz. bottle on my 2 week trip to Peru and it was plenty. I also used it for shaving and it worked great. It says you can use this liquid soap to shampoo your hair. I tried it out but it dried out my hair. It might work for other hair types. They also have shampoo and hair products.

You can get Dr. Bronner's products at REI. By the way, I got the lavender scent soap and it smells good. :D
Alyssa
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu May 01, 2008 4:51 pm

Alyssa wrote:...Check out Dr. Bronner's Pure Castile Soaps http://www.drbronner.com - it is completely biodegradable and vegetable based...

And, if you forget to bring a book, Dr. B's labels make interesting reading. :D
JaliscoJudy

Postby Sierra_Travels » Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 pm

I took Campsuds with me to China. It's not a conditioner, no, but it acts as shampoo, soap, dish soap, laundry soap... great all-in-one-product. Can find it at most camping/outdoor/sports shops (and sometimes in the box stores sporting goods, ie. Walmart). A little goes a surprisingly long way, and rinses easily with little residual odor.
Life's a journey. Get lost along the way.
meryddiansjourneys.blogspot.com
Sierra_Travels
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ShelleyC12 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:44 pm

Whole Foods has a store brand called "365" and it was good for shampoo, soap and laundry detergent and still going...
ShelleyC12

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Mar 13, 2009 9:45 pm

I use CampSuds. It's pretty all-purpose, doesn't dry out your skin or hair horribly and is very concentrated so you don't need to carry a lot.
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby planeterra » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:53 pm

There are lots out there now. Even some in mainstream grocery stores and drug stores. I just bought a brand at Shoppers Drug Mart called Live Clean and the only thing it has that isn't totally natural is Fragrance. But most health food/organic stores have lots of brands to choose from.

My favourite though, is Bioland, but you have to go to Costa Rica for that. They have snack foods, cereals and nice lotions and great shampoo & conditioner in yummy natural scents like coconut :)
Planeterra is the non-profit organization founded by Gap Adventures in 2003. Planeterra supports and develops community projects worldwide that travellers can visit on Voluntours and other Gap Adventures. Visit http://www.planeterra.org
planeterra

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel