Emission programs: should it neutralize one from travelling?

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, richardGS

Re: Emission programs: should it neutralize one from travelling?

Postby jimshu » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:01 pm

You're right Daniel.And I would agree most people on here would be environmentally aware and doing their best to look after this planet.
I don't think anyone has forgotten that in this thread, but merely not voiced it as you have.
How I see the situation is that there is far too much emphasis, even alarmist doom prophecies on catastrophic global warming, which is distracting from the real problems that humanity faces.
Global warming is happening.Always has been since the last Ice Age.The Earth's climate has constantly varied from Ice Age to warm age ages.But why do we think it should be constant?
Why are we upset over melting glaciers?
Why do we think melting ice caps are disastrous"
Why panic over rising oceans?
These are all the effects of warming which is a natural event until the earth's climate heads for a cooling or another ice age.
I remember reading a report about the Bimini roads.And the theory put forward was these were built for hauling chinese junks out of the sea for much needed maintenance .The point I picked up on was that the author reckoned the sea level was 6 metres lower at that time!So today they are submerged.
What this means to me is that rising sea levels are not the problem.The cause of the problem is that in the intervening years humans have built and greatly expanded their cities along coastal areas not realising that in a few hundred years we're going to have to cope with rising sea levels.
So now we then try to combat climate change!!HAH hah hah.
As if!
The human effect on our climate is neglible compared to natural cause and effects.IPCC overstates the case for human effect on CO2 levels.They have been higher in the past.
Right at the outset when nations attempted to set biofuel production targets under the Kyoto Protocols, I wondered how we could meet them, given that all our arable land is needed to feed our population which is growing.We'd have to cut down more forrests or throw people off land they've farmed for centuries.I'm not a scientist but that seemed obvious to me.
We've seen that scheme in tatters because consequences of rushing into meet these targets were ignored or never considered.And now the world's poor must starve or pay 3 times the price for basic rice.
The haste that alarmists say we must make, (and we're threatened with tipping points in 30 months time or so,) I fear will push us into investing trillions in schemes we just do not know the full consequences of.
I was reading a report recently that points out that human technology and knowledge is going ahead exponentially.
100,000 years ago we'd probably just thought about picking up a rock and using it as a tool.
1,000 years ago we'd discovered the wheel.
100 years ago, the internal combustion engine.
10 years ago, the internet,mobile phones etc.
What this means to me is that our children and their children will know far more about, have the greater technology, and have more resources to shape this world far better that we do today.I'll leave them to do it.

LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Re: Emission programs: should it neutralize one from travelling?

Postby jimshu » Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:21 pm

LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Previous

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel