Volunteering in Nepal - May 2014

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, richardGS

Volunteering in Nepal - May 2014

Postby kiwitravels » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:11 am

Hello

In May I am going to volunteer in Nepal. Just wanting to know if anyone has been to/volunteered in Nepal or is going to be there at this time? Do you have any advice? I would like to take gifts or provide gifts when I am there. I am thinking of gifts such as shoes, school stationery, health products, food and cooking items. Any ideas?

kiwitravels
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Volunteering in Nepal - May 2014

Postby ggmz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:19 pm

Hi,

I went to Nepal last Summer, what part are you going to ?
Your gift ideas sound quite good to me :) just don't bring anything that is highly valuable. If you're visiting rural traditional communities, health products are extremely needed there, from what I've seen, but you need to make sure it's a medicine that they understand and can apply without risks. Don't bring vaccines for example. Maybe bandages and disinfectant ?

Learn a little of nepali, it always open gates. Be patient, because Nepalese are the most laid-back people I've ever met, although when they get to work they can be really fast and effective. They're really, really, really chill. Be ready to wake up early, because Nepalese do most of their daily work in the morning while it's not too hot, be ready to take cold showers, be ready to eat rice over and over again.
Don't get angry, because they are extremely polite and peaceful (in their own way) and I've never seen anyone showing signs of anger or exasperation in Nepal. You can bargain, it's a thing there, but since you're obviously richer than them I'd recommend not to push prices too low. If you're going to Kathmandu watch out for the crazy traffic - like really.
In big cities, they say you shouldn't eat food that is being sold on the street. I guess it's somehow true but I've been buying food anyway and never got sick. I'd say avoid the fishes though. Only drink water in bottles bought in markets, I guess it's because your body isn't prepared against the bacterias.

And well enjoy the beauty. Excuse my English !
ggmz

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel