best gifts for Peru?

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, richardGS

best gifts for Peru?

Postby Sheila » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:38 pm

I'm traveling to Peru this August. Does anyone who knows this part of S. Am. have suggestions for small gifts, especially for kids? Do they play frisbee in Peru (I liked the frisbee idea)?
Sheila
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Danielle » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:23 pm

Hi Sheila,

A frisbee is a great idea! Other suggestions would be toothpaste & tooth brushes, school supplies, soccer ball (deflated to make it easier to travel with), second hand t-shirts, shoes and basic English or Spanish children's books. Most of these things can also be purchased locally in Peru which may make it cheaper and easier for you to carry.

While you are in Cuzco you could also take the time to visit two of the community projects supported by G.A.P through the Planeterra Foundation (http://www.planeterra.org). There are currently 2 projects in Peru - a home for street children in Cuzco and a women's weaving cooperative in the Sacred Valley.

Another way to give to either of these projects would be to donate to them directly through the Planeterra website & G.A.P will match your donation dollar-for-dollar.

Take care & have a wonderful trip!

Danielle
Danielle

Re: best gifts for Peru?

Postby Picasso » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:44 pm

My wife and daughter prepared small baggies of assorted toys and pencils prior to our trip, that we gave to children along our tour. They appreciate anything that is given to them in kind.
No matter where you go - there you are
Picasso
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel