Project Galapagos

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, richardGS

Project Galapagos

Postby bun » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Has anyone been on project Galapagos to build playground using recycled materials? Your experience and opinions are greatly appreciated :P.

My friend and I want to do a volunteer project for this July/August. He's an electrical engineer and I'm an optometrist, we're choosing between project Galapagos and building ovens in Peru.
bun
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Project Galapagos

Postby kellygreen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:40 pm

Thanks for your interest in this trip! Kelly here from Planeterra. My predecessor developed this trip with a local organization in the Galapagos and it is a great project that needs help.

This trip does have a higher maximum than most trips in order to run unfortunately. It needs a group of 8 people in total. So it's more geared toward whole groups of people interested in doing the project, which is too bad because it would be great if whoever was interested could go on their own! For next year we'll be looking at ways to ensure volunteering trips are guaranteed, so stay tuned for that. Just wanted to give you a little heads up regarding how it works.

The stove-building in Peru (SPPJ) also has a minimum number but much less, so you and your friend would have a better chance of having the departure you choose running. It's also a wonderful community that we've been partnering with for many years. I was there in November and there is a long list of families still hoping to get stoves. Check out this blog post that details the stove-building and community experience http://www.community.planeterra.org/profiles/blogs/next-time-youre-thinking-of-a

Thanks!
Kellyg@planeterra.org
kellygreen

Re: Project Galapagos

Postby bun » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:37 pm

Hi Kelly,
Thank you so much for your reply. The information is very helpful. Stove building is also something we've been thinking of doing, will check out the link you sent.
Project Galapagos is our #1 choice because of the dates. Do you know for the trip from July 12-22, 2011, how many people have signed up? How probable is there a voluntour?
Thanks for the info,
Annie
bun

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel