best gifts to bring to foreign countries?

Discuss volunteering opportunities or how you can help to ensure that tourism in developing countries remains a positive experience for everyone.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy, richardGS

Re: best gifts to bring to foreign countries?

Postby grash » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:44 pm

I bring medical supplies. Doctor's offices often have things that are 'expired' such as sutures and sample medication-- ibuprofen or acetaminophen. These things are perfectly good. I drop them off at local clinics and they are really appreciated. Even small things like band aids are needed. At the end of my tour I give my guide my first aid kit.
grash
User Rank: Traveller

Postby mari3-ann3 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:23 pm

A gift that is usually really appreciated by women in poorer countries is sanitary towels. They usually don't have money to buy such items when food is the first priority.
mari3-ann3
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby dreaded_luggage » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:21 pm

My first choice would be books. Somewhere, we have or used to have "My First Thousand Words," "My First Thousand Words in French," "My First Thousand Words in German" and "My First Thousand Words in Italian," if I remember correctly. Asterix books would make a good next step, Susan Cooper's series The Dark Is Rising, Greenwitch, The Grey King and Silver On The Tree, Anne McCaffrey's Dragon books and James Herriot's Vet books, It Shouldn't Happen To A Vet, Vet In Harness and so on. I don't think any of them are likely to offend, except somewhere people don't think girls should sing in public and ***** those guys!

I left a copy of Chocolat in Iran this year. I do hope it gets read by many, many people. It's in very good English, and it would be a shame to waste such a valuable educational resource. ;)
dreaded_luggage

Previous

Return to Volunteering and Sustainable Travel