Are you a travel addict??

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Are you a travel addict??

Postby jimshu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:05 pm

Gee, everytime I check this thread, there's another reason to laugh.
Zuleika, that last sentence had me chuckling.LOL
Paulteolis, you must have some wonderful stories to tell.

As for the mortgage thing, hey, don't knock it.
Perhaps some may look at it as a millstone around your neck.Can be.
But another way of looking at it ,is as a forced savings scheme.
You take on a mortgage, you pay out heaps, but eventually , down the road of time, you pay it off.
And guess what?
You own a property freehold.And property appreciates in value.
Late 70's,2nd home we bought for $29,000 .Paid that mortgage off .Remortgaged and bought investment properties.
And today now enjoy passive income streams.Tenants have renewed leases.

(OK>Yep I know there's a property slump, etc.But that isn't going to last forever.People need houses.Either they will buy them, or rent them off someone who owns them.
And for those with the cash,be an owner/landlord and be ready to start buying some bargains.)

But the reality is that others may choose not to follow that path.And today's more independant lifestyles may mean it's not so important to create that home/nest.And that travelling requires more independance and renting ,where and when you need to, becomes the accepted norm.
I guess the great thing is that, compared to my younger years, todays youth have far more options or choices.
And travel, despite what you may think,is a whole lot cheaper today, and so many destinations opened up.

I guess travel addiction may be the new virus of this century...??
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby Alpine_Resort » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:00 pm

You guys are great! We did the mortgage and kids thing and I'm not knocking it. Nothing can replace family HOWEVER, once we got over the early empty nest thing we discovered travelling. Now approaching 50 we have our health and the freedom to really explore. Our friends think we're nuts too. For our 25th wedding anniversary we did the Inca trail. For the 50th birthday our friends want to go on a cruise. I suggested a safari and camping in Africa instead. Hmm. They're not impressed so I guess we'll go alone. Even my kids want to know why I'd choose riding on a chicken bus in Nicaragua over sitting on a beach. It's the experience!!! We've forfeited dinners out, fancy vehicles and fashionable clothes over travel. It's way more fun and the memories last forever. Well, maybe not so much at our age but that's why we take lots of photos!
Jodi from rural Ontario, Canada
Alpine_Resort
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby nikimarcotte » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:11 pm

Definitely...i left the continent for the first time in 1999, and have only made it to 29 countries. Any year that i dont' get to go on a big trip, is called a NON-travel year. I have a good job, so i dont' want to quit it to travel, but i do calculate out exactly how much vacation and bank time i need for trip and hoard it up until i can go for a couple of months, every two years or so. My savings account is referred to as my travel fund, but any money i don't use on my travels gets banked for that FUTURE mortgage that i might eventually need. I actually planned out my proposed travels for the next 12 years about 3 years ago....but my 12-year plan gets extended each time i go on a trip..so far it is STILL a 12-year plan... but i am always open to other suggestions, none thus far have been worth giving up on the plan :wink:
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby voidczech » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:44 am

I'm starting definately starting to get addicted. I have travel plans set for the next five years! LOL!

Going on what Ballu wrote:

got laid off from my job just over a month ago...and instead of thinking, "I need to hoard all of my money because once the severance runs out...what it I don't have a job, how will I pay my rent...?", I've said, "I may never get this much time off in one paid chunk again so...off to Africa I go for 2 months".

Oh, and I'm 34 and could have had a very nice downpayment on a house by this time if I hadn't have blown it all seeing the world. Someday when I'm on my deathbed, I don't think I'll have any regrets. I'll never be laying there wishing I would have seen the Pyramids, or Machu Picchu, or Angkor Wat or gone on Safari in Africa...therefore it's kind of hard to see it as a waste. Who lays there thinking, "I wish I would have had a mortgage by the time I was 35...".

I'm just missed another layoff a couple of weeks ago (knock on wood) but unless the economy turns around I could be on the chopping block on the next one coming, or the one after that.

Now, I'm also in a position now where I'm 35 and just about to sell my house (just working out the details now). This means debt paid off and money to buy the next one. In my experience, I've sold (well almost sold) 2 houses and made some money off of both of them.

So, I say ... YES! Buy that house! Pay that mortgage! Travel your credit cards to the ground! Then sell the house, pay the debt and start over! And always try to have lady luck on your side. It's like a craps shoot! LOL

- Simone

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine
voidczech
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby shancturn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:27 pm

I'm addicted. I have an unusual job and i've been able to take large chunks of time off to go off on unusual adventures. Every year I vow to save my money and stay at home (which I enjoy as well); but I have countries on my list I can't wait to see and adventures I've scoped that I can't seem to get out of my mind. For those who've posted regrets about not having a house. I have one and wish I could sell it without taking a loss. While it's nice to have your own space it eats up valuable travel funds...I'm not at home often anyway. I'd love to quit my job and travel for a year...that's my fantasy and I'm working on it right now. I admire and am envious of those of you that have just taken of and gone.
shancturn
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby realestate » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:43 pm

Definately addicted. Have been travelling since I was 9 and will continue to travel until I die no doubt. I wish I could spend six months or more travelling every year but unfortunately can't afford it. Although working my butt off is a means to an ends - yep one big trip round europe! The hard work is definately worth it!!
realestate

Postby onyx007 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:30 am

Yes, defintly a travel addict, but it really started only in 2003 when I turned 28.

As I live in the middle of europe (in Switzerland) I could travel as kid with my grand parents and my parents already to many countries, because everything is so close (Paris in France, London, Italy, Scandinavia, Germany and so on). But that was only the "normal" vaccations, everybody experience in his childhood.

Than around the year 2001 someone planted the idea in my head that I should travel to Down Under.
And in 2003 I took some time off my work and spent almost 7 month in Australia and New Zealand (including 3 month of english study in Perth). From then the travel bug bite me.

I have "only" five weeks each year, but this five weeks I spend mostly abroad. Some times I can save some overtime and take it together for a longer vacation.

Here is my journal:
2003 Australia, New Zealand (travel bug bite)
2004 Canada (from Vancouver to Toronto overland)
2005 two weeks Japan and three weeks Peru/Bolvia
2006 two weeks Egypt and later Iceland for a week and Las Vegas for a week
2007 eight weeks vacation China, Tibet, Nepal, India (from Beijing to Mumbai)
2008 two weeks Cuba and three weeks USA (overland from New York to San Francisco)
2009 three weeks Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil and two weeks Eastern Europe
2010 three weeks Vancouver and Caribean Cruise and in September four weeks Shanghai World Fair and GAP Trans Mongolian Express
2011 Mexico and the east of Canada
2012 Indochina ( Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia) and a roundtrip through Western Europe
2013 ???

I missed so far nothing so bad like a death or marriage only some great concerts but I wouln't stop planing a trip if something is coming up.

If a addiction shows by the following syntoms:
- the moment I touch home soil after a journey I start thinking about my next one
- when I'm reading about a place in a book, I'm not thinking who it looks like there, I'm thinking who and when I will get there
- the work I do in between journeys is for supporting my expensive hobby
than I can say that
"My name is Peter and I am a travel addict"
Last edited by onyx007 on Fri May 11, 2012 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
onyx007

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:01 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
JaliscoJudy

Postby TravelFun » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:00 am

JaliscoJudy wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one...and thankfully there's no cure to stop this addiction! :wink:
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!

TravelFun

Postby jimshu » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:30 pm

LOL.
How about we start a support group for TAA'ers.
Travel Addicts Anonymous!
And we all sit around in a circle and divulge our sins.
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby Zuleika » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:52 pm

Hello - my name's Zuleika and I'm a travel addict.
Its been 12 days and 8 hours since my last fix and I'm having terrible withdrawals.
Symptoms include the blues, general daydreaming, constant perusing of the GAP website and staring at planes flying overhead.
However - there is a light at the end of the tunnel - Im booked for Africa in 105 days YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAA cant flippenwell wait yayayayayayayy
So now, salivating over the trip dossier having read it for the 254th time. And buying my umpteenth purchase for camping gear that I MAY or maynot need from Amazon. And spending an OBSCENE amount on a new L series canon lens to feed my other addiction - photography.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby wavewet » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:21 pm

Zuleika wrote:Symptoms include the blues, general daydreaming, constant perusing of the GAP website and staring at planes flying overhead.

sooo true

Zuleika wrote: salivating over the trip dossier having read it for the 254th time.

lol sooo true

Zuleika wrote:spending an OBSCENE amount on a new L series canon lens to feed my other addiction - photography.

lol i'm not quite that OBSCENE..... yet! (but I've been tempted)
wavewet
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:35 pm

Zuleika wrote:And spending an OBSCENE amount on a new L series canon lens to feed my other addiction - photography.

How about whining that there ISN'T an L-series lens for the optic range you want? ;)

I would love the opportunity to consider spending an obscene amount for an L-series 18-250 mm if they had one ... I'd even take an L-series 18-200 rather than their current offering ...
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby jimshu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:15 pm

I've got 8 days to go and I can't get motivated to make anyone's shoes.Must have a foot on that plane already.
And i keep giving our dog twice as many hugs because she won't have any for 7 weeks!
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby sinecure » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:28 pm

You mean it's not normal for my travel agent to call me every day with what countries are on sale that day?
sinecure

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic