Are you a travel addict??

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Are you a travel addict??

Postby Zuleika » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:49 pm

Do you consider yourself to be addicted to travel and why?
Do you live your life for your next trip?
Is this what you spend all your time thinking about and planning for?
Do you spend a good portion of your income on travel?

I love travel so much - I probably would probably consider my self addicted to it. I have given up my job and flat three, yes three, times to go for prolonged travels abroad. My friends and parents have (kindly) volunteered to house all my stuff on these occasions. I have picked travel over a boyfriend and put my career on hold. I missed both my Grandmas deaths and funerals as I was away travelling - a big regret and sadness this one.
I didnt get my mortgage till I was 37 as I was always away.
Now i still go for at least 3 holidays a year to farflung places.
I always have one booked and the next two in the pipeline.
I spend a good portion of my wages on it.
It seems the more I do and see, the more I want to do and see. I yearn for new interesting experiences, cultures and people, sights, history, architecture, natural wonders, nature, wildlife, wonderful views and the company of fellow travellers.

How about anyone else?
Does it rule your life??? In the best possible way of course.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Re: Are you a travel addict??

Postby jimshu » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:23 pm

I could answer most of those questions affirmatively.......
But luckily, found a wonderful partner early in life.Had our OE together, then took on a mortgage, raised 3 kids, paid off the mortgage,shoved the kids out of the nest,got back into traveling,and currently have one trip paid for, and another planned.And another....and....

So just want to say, that careful compromise, and wise decisions may mean that partnerships and family, do not have to be forgone to that travel virus!

In fact when the kids were toddlers, we bought an old caravan and still travelled together around New Zealand.
It seems the more I do and see, the more I want to do and see. I yearn for new interesting experiences, cultures and people, sights, history, architecture, natural wonders, nature, wildlife, wonderful views and the company of fellow travellers.

DITTO!
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

Postby Zuleika » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:31 pm

Morning Jimshu - you must be online!

I should add - apart from missing the Grandmas, I dont regret a minute of it!!
Zuleika

Postby sinecure » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:52 pm

I think I qualify, I have a healthy book shelf full of books on the destinations that we've been to as well as places we'd like to go. I also spend way too much time on various airline sites looking for amazing deals to sneak away.

As far as what part I like the most, it has to be the getting there and the food. I've been intrigued by the TV show 'Bizarre foods' on the travel channel as of late.
sinecure

Postby ballu » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:42 pm

I got laid off from my job just over a month ago...and instead of thinking, "I need to hoard all of my money because once the severance runs out...what it I don't have a job, how will I pay my rent...?", I've said, "I may never get this much time off in one paid chunk again so...off to Africa I go for 2 months".

Oh, and I'm 34 and could have had a very nice downpayment on a house by this time if I hadn't have blown it all seeing the world. Someday when I'm on my deathbed, I don't think I'll have any regrets. I'll never be laying there wishing I would have seen the Pyramids, or Machu Picchu, or Angkor Wat or gone on Safari in Africa...therefore it's kind of hard to see it as a waste. Who lays there thinking, "I wish I would have had a mortgage by the time I was 35...".
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby jimshu » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:17 pm

apart from missing the Grandmas

We're missing that bit too!Darn.Kids in their 30's and no sign of them having kids.Guess we frightened them off it when they were early teens!
"Don't you come home with a kid at your age!".....
No, I think they got the travel virus also.And their generation look at things differently.When they look around at my generation,see all their friend's parents split up,reformed partnerships, they probably think'What's the point in marriage, kids, mortgage and debt?"
Let's take off somewhere....on the credit card!!

I guess we've been lucky in a way.
But if this is what you want,
I yearn for new interesting experiences, cultures and people, sights, history, architecture, natural wonders, nature, wildlife, wonderful views

that can be found within a good relationship, raising kids, and paying off that mortgage.
And I would suggest we stop and think about life itself.Perhaps that is the journey.Whether we choose the marriage/kids/mortgage thing or the freewheeling travel,revolving partnership style, perhaps that is just your 'comfort 'level through life.(Bit like choosing to go overland trucking, or luxury coach style perhaps?)LOL.

Anyone up for Yemen and Socotra?
Now that I've been bitten by the Yemeni bug!
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby jimshu » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:29 pm

Someday when I'm on my deathbed, I don't think I'll have any regrets

Meg, just discussing that with a friend the other day.
He's been a lot of places and reckons he'll have great memories when he's in the old folks home.
"But John, ''I said,''When you have this old frail zimmer frame traveller sit next too you, and that old wrinkly man is on your other side,and you start telling them of the wild and wonderful places you have been in your life, they'll think you're nuts and your minds shot.Because they'll have no idea of those places
They'll think it's you who's lost your marbles!
:|
Even today, it's so hard to talk about some of the places we have been because friends think we're nuts going off to Mongolia or India or Namibia, when you can go on a nice cruise!!!
8 of them will take a cruise this year.Not one of them wants to come with us to Africa...????
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby thecakeisalie » Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:56 pm

Yeah, I think I fall into the travel addict category as well... and slightly into Jimshu's "you're nuts" category. :P

I've been fortunate to travel extensively through my job, which has not only allowed me to go to some far off places that I never would have been to otherwise, but has also allowed me to bank quite a few perks (airline miles and hotel stays) that has opened to door to explore further. I'm currently planning a Kili climb and Tanzanian safari that wouldn't have been possible (read: affordable) if I wasn't able to fly there for next to nothing. And I'm actually looking forward to tax season, because I'm counting on that return to pay for the climb!

But first things first... how to squeeze an extra weekend in Singapore or Thailand at the end of my next work trip to Malaysia, and still make it back to work the following week without taking vacation time!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby jimshu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:59 pm

What nice problems you have Tkle! :D
Now Zuleika, how do you reckon we can diagnose a Travel Addict?

Symptoms.
1.Elevated blood pressure-if remains within a 100KMs radius of birth/workplace for more than 48 hours.
2.Uncontrollable shaking of outer extremities when approaches any Travel Agency.
3.Totally spasmodic and looses control of all bodily functions outside any GAP store.
4.Massive watering of eyes at the mention of latest GAP brochure release.
Anymore? :?:
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby Zuleika » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:32 pm

BIG LOL - Ah Jimshu you make me laugh - I agree with all of the above - ahhh chuckle chuckle
Zuleika

Postby jimshu » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:16 pm

Been researching medical reports on the condition.
Now diagnoses apparently used to be pretty easy as two viruses were identifiable.
(It's a viral disease not a mental condition, contrary to popular belief!)
Wanderensis Trundlerei commonly infected older, less physically fit adults.
And it's counterpart Wanderensis Backpackerei was more prevalent in younger, fitter ages.
But There is now a mutant or more correctly, a natural hybrid strain becoming more common.
Unnamed as yet.But easily identifiable.
(Gosh this Chai tastes good.My Indian tenant's wife just dropped in a morning cup of real Chai for Me)slurp.

Electron microscopic scanning of these little critters reveals this new virus swimming around with it's DNA baggage EITHER as a package on it's back, OR Towed behind it by plasmodic armlike extrusion.Can be confused with the earlier known strains. BUT under careful observation, it can be seen to Switch it's baggage position to ANY position, dependant on environmental conditions.
This defines it as a hybrid strain.
Watch out.No known vaccine!
LEAD WITH SERVICE

jimshu

Postby Zuleika » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:22 pm

jimshu wrote:
'What's the point in marriage, kids, mortgage and debt?"
Let's take off somewhere....on the credit card!!

YAY - lets go!
Zuleika

Postby PaulTeolis » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:55 pm

addict is such a strong word, but to answer, YES...

In 1993 I visited my 4th country...Ecuador, with GAP
last year I visited my 40th country...Bhutan, with GAP
do the math, I'm addicted...I mean hooked....

I'm already thinking of where to go in 2009, and I just got back 6 weeks ago.
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:52 pm

Oh, and I'm 34 and could have had a very nice downpayment on a house by this time if I hadn't have blown it all seeing the world. Someday when I'm on my deathbed, I don't think I'll have any regrets. I'll never be laying there wishing I would have seen the Pyramids, or Machu Picchu, or Angkor Wat or gone on Safari in Africa...therefore it's kind of hard to see it as a waste. Who lays there thinking, "I wish I would have had a mortgage by the time I was 35...".

I really do wish I heard that bit of wisdom when I was 35...
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby Zuleika » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:10 pm

jimshu wrote:

And I would suggest we stop and think about life itself.Perhaps that is the journey.Whether we choose the marriage/kids/mortgage thing or the freewheeling travel,revolving partnership style, perhaps that is just your 'comfort 'level through life.(Bit like choosing to go overland trucking, or luxury coach style perhaps?)LOL.

I agree, and I love the analogy - I am of the overland style - I dont like to get too comfortable, but would rather be 'out there,' being continually tested.
Alas I get bored too quickly.

Not to say I dont envy the comfort style way of life - wouldnt even mind trying it - but am sure I would be back on that overland truck at some point. LOL
Zuleika

Next

Return to Off-topic