Sooooo.....I just quit my job

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sooooo.....I just quit my job

Postby kbaills1710 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:34 am

So yesterday, after months of being unhappy/bored/treat like shit at work, I finally did it and quit my job!

Feeling abit allover the place today and wondering if I have lost the plot!

I had already booked a three week trip to Asia with my reminding holiday entitlement at work, but now thinking of extending that by another month, then coming home and seeing about another job. No idea where I'm going to end up really.

Just wondering if anybody else has made such a drastic move with no real plans or anything to back yourself up, and has it all worked out ok in the end?

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated!!

Kirsten x
kbaills1710
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Sooooo.....I just quit my job

Postby foggybridges » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Congrats!

I haven't done this. But I have always promised myself that if I was ever fired/quit I would be on the next plane to SE Asia!

Enjoy!!!
foggybridges
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby ballu » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:52 pm

My situation was different, I was handed a severance package then went to Africa for two months...which was a pretty scary move when most in that situation would conserve.

For me, despite having to convince my family and friends I wasn't crazy and I needed to do it, it was the best thing I could have done. That being said, I didn't go for broke.

You've already got it booked, considering a major travel expense for any trip is airfare...and you're already going to be over there...many parts of SE Asia are some of the most affordable places you can travel to...I don't know your financial and personal situations, but if I were in your shoes I'd extend it. And if you do the tour first, you'll be able to get an idea of how things work over there and pick your CEOs brain about where to go, how to go about arranging accommodations and transportation etc.

I learned a pretty valuable lesson on my trip. I knew I could spend all my time travelling worrying about what would or wouldn't await me when I returned home...or I could just learn to live in the moment and enjoy where I was and what I was doing.

And it took a while, but I did find another job...and I'm saving up for my next trip which I hope to take in November.
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby TravelFun » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:51 pm

I've done it but with some planning. I made a decision to take time out...a career break for a few months. I really enjoyed my job but needed time out after I fell in love with South America.

So resigned and like yourself booked my first 3 weeks. Went travelling for 4 months, covered 9 countries, met some great people both local and other travellers and was happy that I did it. When I got back home, everything was still there...took me a few months to find a job but all worked out well.

Now I work hard and continue to travel hard :P

Ballu has given some great advice...live for the moment and home will always be there for you.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby kbaills1710 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement! Nice to hear instead of the usual "wow...you've packed your job in, you must be crazy"!

First week without a job to go to has been weird, don't quite know what to do with myself! Been embracing having time to read and just take time out to relax, such a strange concept!

Good news is I have extended my trip and changed my flights, I am now going for two months :) I plan on seeing Bali, Lombok and the Gilis, Thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia. Abit nervous as to what's going to happen job-wise when I come back, but I guess I will deal with that at the time, for now I am just going to enjoy myself!

Kirsten
kbaills1710

Return to Off-topic