How many customers use the Watering Hole?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

How many customers use the Watering Hole?

Postby jo-burgess » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:21 am

How many G Adventures travellers actually use this watering hole? There are hundreds of empty posts in the departures lounge with loads of views but barely anyone confirming to be on the same trip?

Are people just reading and staying anonymous wanting to start off the trip on a fresh slate and not wanting to connect with fellow travellers prior to the trip?

Or is the advertisement of the watering hole not as good as it could be?

It seems the people on here are all keen to meet and chat to fellow trip goers but is there more G Adventures and the other tour companies such as STA that sell these trips can do to advertise the forum? It does appear quite far down the booking confirmation email where I would have imagined it to be more prominent. I think its an amazing site with lots of people returning to it.. but not as many new travellers as there could be...

What do you think?
jo-burgess
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: How many customers use the Watering Hole?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:55 pm

We've had that discussion off and on here and I think it might be that adventure travelers like surprises! It's nice to meet ahead of time but just as nice to be pleasantly surprised by the people and personalities you meet on Day 1 of the trip. I always post in the Departure lounge but my daughter adamantly refuses to post when she goes somewhere! For her it spoils the adventure if she knows too much information ahead.

You're right about the advertising not being as prominent as it could. Also, if you're new to this type of travel you don't really understand how closely you'll bond with the rest of the group so you may dismiss the option without realizing what it means. It's completely different than the usual big bus trips that have 40-50 people.

In any case, there's lots of us here with different outlooks and philosophies. That's what makes it great!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby Starbuck86 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:18 pm

A friend of mine who I met on tour in Africa a few years back said that STA travel were particularly poor at notifying their customers of pre-trip message boards like the Watering Hole. In fact, when she asked if G had such a thing STA told her no!

That aside, I guess some people like to be suprised, while others like to know before they go. I think a mixture of both is a good thing. Variety is the spice of life and all that. (Doesn't stop me from checking my post in the Departure Lounge every couple of days, though!)
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Starbuck86
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby avonord » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:12 pm

I wondered about this too, but that's cuz I'm a big forum user. One way may be to create the thread automatically and include the link on the email to those who signed up to the trip. It may end up with lots of empty threads though...
avonord
User Rank: Nomad

Postby moonshyne42 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:48 am

I'm a new customer and after booking, the forum was the first thing that I looked for! Of course, there's only one other person in there that's posting for my trip, but it's still nice to start to chat with someone ahead of time. We've been answering each others' questions and concerns, comparing flight times (since we're from different parts of the world) and of course we're wondering what to wear. I don't recall seeing anything on any of my confirmations about this forum, I just naturally look for them when I book a trip through a company.
moonshyne42
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby nytim » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:58 pm

This is my second Gadventures trip coming up Dec5. We meet in Bangkok and travel To Cambodia the next day. I have already made contact with four others doing this trip. We are going to meet and wander until the meeting at 6 pm.
nytim

Postby niawyn1 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:52 pm

I have nust started using the waterung hole tonight and i must say i think its great! Ive posted in the departue loung so hopefully somebody will get bk to me!

Thanks g adventure!
niawyn1

Postby froggybraveheart » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:26 am

I check out the Watering Hole regularly. It always surprises me how many posts go unanswered. I must admit that I didn't really use it the first time I travelled with G Adventures 4 years ago. Now that I'm planning my 2nd trip I look at it daily. I am concerned that the layout for the new website does not make it very obvious that there is a forum for questions and answers and meetups.
froggybraveheart
User Rank: Traveller

Postby grash » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:58 am

I LOVE the departure lounge! I think that some of the fun of travel is the anticipation. I like to be able to share excitement with others that are going on the same trip. I have a daily countdown: 244 days until I leave for my next adventure!
grash

Return to Off-topic