What is the max age limit for YOLO trips?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

What is the max age limit for YOLO trips?

Postby aliajaye » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:21 am

Hi,
Can anyone tell me what is the max age for YOLO trips? I read its 30 somethings....and average age is 25. Does the 30 something mean up to 39? or Just early 30's?

I just wanted to know before I sign up lol.

Thanks.
AJ
aliajaye
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Re: What is the max age limit for YOLO trips?

Postby sinecure » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:34 pm

You must be under 39 at the time of travel.
sinecure

Postby rrjz » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:57 pm

I just read this post and I am sort of shocked that there is now age limits on Gadventures trips. I just took a trip that will soon be classified as Yolo/Camping. Our group had a variety of ages from 18 - 68. Meeting these people was part of highlight of the trip. I would hate to have not be able to do this trip because of my age. I was planning another trip with Gadventures but the trip I was planning on is changing from Basic/Overland to Yolo/Camping. I will be 39 maybe 40 (depending when I go) does this mean I will have to look for a different tour company?
If that is the case Gadventures is going to miss out on a lot of sales opportunities. I have nothing bad to say about my experience with Gadaventures and would love to travel with them again but I guess they have made the decision for me that I can't unless I choose to travel in a different way than the overland experience.
rrjz
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby xtine » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:43 pm

This new limitation makes me feel the same way as the person above about g-adventures.
I gave a glowing rating to my trip in August (August 23, 2012) on all points and have told everyone I know about my trip, recommended it highly and g-adventures too, and now I am extremely disappointed to see that the trip that I took, the North American trip, "San Francisco to Los Angeles Adventure", 8 days and previously classified as "basic" style has been changed to "yolo", "popular with18 to 30 year olds". Well, that is just not good marketing and they are really cutting out a whole population of people like me by changing your description. I am 45 years old and single and I am a low income artist who could afford this trip and happened to want to go on such an active hiking/camping style of trip. There are plenty of 40 somethings I know who are in the arts that were interested in such a trip that I took... I also happen to be very fit, actually more so than some of the other "yolo" participants on my trip. Out of the 13 of us, only one other participant, who was about 30, and I did serious hiking in both Yosemite N.P.. and Grand Canyon, N.P., there were no other rigorous hiking opportunities on this trip too... I was not like "grandma" amongst a bunch of young people or something. There were other people over 40 on my trip too and met up with other group too on the same trip opposite direction and met people older than I then...So, I really am extremely disappointed in g-adventures for reclassifying this style of camping/active trip as something someone my age would not be eligible or fit or even deemed worthy to sign up for and pay to be on such a vacation. It was an excellent vacation for me, truly so, and so glad, so ecstatic really, that I finally had the opportunity to see these parts of my country that I had been dreaming to see for so long. It was truly a highlight of my life so far! As I said I don't have a lot of money for trips and was delighted to find g-adventures and this specific trip out west. Changing the description of this trip to target under 30 year olds just makes me feel horrible and so disappointed...I really was interested in traveling more with this company. I do hope that they reconsider cutting out a whole demographic by classifying these more affordable camping trips as only eligible for 18 to 30 year olds, "yolo", (I can still have the "you only live once" type of experiences in my 40s and really the rest of my life, BELIEVE ME!) Sorry, it is just really offensive to say that people over 30 do not have or want to have these experiences...
I am not an old hag who is out of shape and I got along well with all the other people on the trip and even toured a few extra days with some of the "yolos" in Los Angeles: they wanted to tour some more with me! It is ridiculous to think that adults of all ages can not mix and be friends. I teach all ages of adults at an art center for the past 19 years and I have made friends with all ages my whole career. Like minded travelers attract like minded travelers basically and if someone signs up for the description of the style of the trip, camping, than they really want to go on that style of trip, period.
I do hope that G-Adventures will reconsider the whole age discrimination with the camping trips.
Last edited by xtine on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
xtine
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby leahlovestravel » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:19 am

The age restriction was lifted a while back and this topic is talked about a lot in the Africa departures I believe.
From what I remember reading, it is a guideline and a head's up that these trips are pretty basic level but all are welcome so no worries.
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby xtine » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:33 am

Thanks so much! I was so fired up about it and just read a whole other thread about it too and was happy I was not the only non "yolo" who felt this way!
xtine

Postby froggybraveheart » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:03 pm

A lot of the African trips with G Adventures are listed as YOLO. If you read the description it just says that these trips are popular with the 30 something crowd. There really isn't a cut-off age and you can still register if you are over this age bracket. Just be sure to check the physical grading of the trip to be sure that you will not be disappointed if it is more physically demanding than you are capable of.
froggybraveheart
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Off-topic