Has anyone used 'Spirit Airlines' ?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Has anyone used 'Spirit Airlines' ?

Postby mikebeb » Tue May 01, 2012 3:09 pm

Hey, I wasn't sure where to post this but I have a direct flight booked with 'Spirit Airlines' from Lima to Fort Laurdedale in August. My travel agent found the flight for me which seemed great at the time and is still the best option in terms of cost, but I've just read some of the reviews and I am a little concerned and apprehensive as to what I can expect from Spirit.

I just wondered if anyone on here had used them or heard of them before?

Thanks

Mike
mikebeb
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Has anyone used 'Spirit Airlines' ?

Postby thecakeisalie » Tue May 01, 2012 6:21 pm

Don't expect much, spirit is pretty bare bones... but then again, so are the rest of the domestics nowadays in the US. I flew with them twice about 10 years ago, and I did not have good experiences, but both times something broke mechanically that took several hours to fix. The reality is that could happen to any airline at any time, so you take your chances and just hope everything turns out for the best. I'm not sure how their service is internationally, but just think of it as an extended leg of your adventure!
thecakeisalie
User Rank: Explorer

Postby mikebeb » Sun May 06, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks for your swift reply.

I've read as many reviews as I want to and it seems everyone concurs with what you're saying. It's booked now and there's nothing I can so I'll just hope to get lucky and hope everyone goes smoothly.

SpiritAir only have one flight a day going from Lima to Fort Laurdedale, what would happen if that flight had a long delay or worst case scenario was cancelled? Would SpiritAir have to provide accommodation, alternative travel etc. ?

This will be only the 2nd time I've travelled alone and I've never missed a flight so I'm just curious as to what would happen?
mikebeb

Postby graybeard » Mon May 07, 2012 12:51 am

In general Spirit will hit you up for every fee imaginable... Yes, fees for BOTH carry on and checked baggage, all food, beverage, etc must be purchased, headphones, films. etc. etc. etc. And, if I remember correctly, at once time they were considering a fee to use the restroom :o . Now, given your flight is international it may be true that some of this may not apply. I would check their website VERY carefully for the fee schedules and details. This would include what forms of payment they accept. They may charge a fee to use a credit card to pay for the fees!

As to your 2nd question... the answer is probably not. They would try to rebook you, I believe, on one of their flights but it is my understanding that they do not have reciprocal agreements with other airlines. Make sure your GAP required travel insurance covers such issues.
graybeard
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby onyx007 » Mon May 07, 2012 2:24 am

mikebeb wrote:SpiritAir only have one flight a day going from Lima to Fort Laurdedale, what would happen if that flight had a long delay or worst case scenario was cancelled? Would SpiritAir have to provide accommodation, alternative travel etc. ?
This will be only the 2nd time I've travelled alone and I've never missed a flight so I'm just curious as to what would happen?

Another idea is that you let your travel agent (who booked you on this flight) ask directly SpiritAir
this questions or do it by yourself. They must have a customer service, who can answer all your questions. There might be even a special insurance available in such cases (if not your own covers for it)
onyx007

Postby ballu » Mon May 07, 2012 2:36 pm

The latest Spirit Airlines cash grab is to charge $100 for a carry-on...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industrie ... 54736508/1
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby mikebeb » Tue May 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Okay, so I've taken your advice and I've thoroughly read through Spirit's baggage fees, I've also gone through their 'Contract of Carriage' regarding delayed/cancelled flights.

The baggage fees should be around $63 for 1 x checked bag and 1 x carry-on providing I do it online. I am absolutely fine with this. I also read that Spirit charge you $7 to check-in at the airport. I had a look on their website to see where they have check-in desks and apparently they don't have any at Lima airport, so that cost should be waived according to their site.

In the worse case scenario that my flight is cancelled, I decided to look and see when the next flight was available and to my horror, I discovered the next flight out of Lima to Fort Laurdedale is 6 days later! :shock:

Spirits 'Contract of Carriage' states:

7.1. Spirit Airlines Responsibility for Schedules and Operations
Times shown in a timetable or elsewhere are not guaranteed and form no part of the
terms of transportation. Spirit may, without notice, substitute alternate carriers or
aircraft, and may alter or omit stopping places shown on the reservation. Schedules are
subject to change without notice. Spirit is not responsible or liable for making
connections, or for failing to operate any flight according to schedule, or for changing
the schedule of any flight.
7.2. Rebooking
When a customer holding a confirmed reservation on a flight will be delayed because of
a schedule irregularity (including but not limited to, a missed connection, flight
cancellation, omission of a scheduled stop, substitution of equipment, a different class
of service or schedule change), Spirit will rebook the customer on Spirit's first available
flight on which seats are available to the customer's destination without additional
charge.
Spirit will not reimburse customers for flights that they take on other carriers.

I feel sick at the thought of this flight.

Oh and I also read that Spirit don't accept any cash on-board the aircraft so I guess there will be high fees for using a credit/debit card.
mikebeb

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:12 pm

Hey Mike...no worries, on the other hand everything may go exactly as planned :D

Two choices:
1. Goes as planned and *yawn* no stories
2. Flight cancelled, make alternate arrangements that take you through many exotic cities, resulting in a great story and pictures of "Me at Buenos Aires, me at Medellin, me back at Lima, me at Tecucigalpa, oops back to Bogota, me at El Salvador, Mexico City". Well you get the picture. You are late getting back to work and your co-workers spend that 6 days saying "OMG, did you hear where Mike is now?!"
Relax, we can't worry about what might happen. My best stories and memories are from what DIDN'T go right! Enjoy your trip!
Kim
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50

Postby thecakeisalie » Wed May 09, 2012 9:05 am

ballu wrote:The latest Spirit Airlines cash grab is to charge $100 for a carry-on...

That makes me a little nauseous. I realize that each airline has a right to charge people whatever they want for pretty much anything they want, so I hope the public also realizes the best way to fight this is to simply not fly on their airline. An unofficial boycott, sort of. Anyway, Spirit will never again get my money.

Mike, I hope all works out for you, the rest of us may just be jaded already (I definitely am, can't speak for the rest). Also, don't worry too much about being delayed for 6 days, that's not going to happen. As long as you show up and check in for your flight on time, the airline is responsible to get you to your destination. They are also responsible to provide decent living standard until you reach your destination, which means they would be on the hook for food and lodging until you get to Ft. Lauderdale. If they had to put everyone on that flight into a hotel and include meals for 6 days, that would be disastrous for them. They will try to reroute you as soon as possible to avoid this. It may mean having to travel through other destinations first, and possibly on other airlines, but they will get you to where you're going. Relax for now, no sense worrying about it since you're already booked. Enjoy your trip.
thecakeisalie

Postby mikebeb » Sun May 13, 2012 3:58 pm

You guys are right. I'll just see what happends. It's another part of the adventure of travelling. Thanks a lot.
mikebeb

Return to Off-topic