Paying is US$

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Paying is US$

Postby georginal » Thu May 09, 2013 3:40 pm

Unfortunately Americans are known for sometimes being arrogant, but perhaps its actually about education and experience more than anything else, and its the well travelled ones, and there are a few out there that will know differently.

Now try being a Brit and travelling to Istanbul, and being told to take Turkish Lira (of course it is - right?). Then finding accommodation that only accepts Euro's, whats more only in cash. I knew about it before I left home but wouldn't use the place again incidentally. But this doesn't apply to just USD's. Its whatever the strongest thing is to trade in.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby nytim » Mon May 27, 2013 12:22 pm

I am not a Yank but I live here. Of all the travelers I meet, the English are surely the most arrogant. Yanks are loud but rarely unruly like the hordes of English in places like Bangkok and Saigon.
nytim
User Rank: Nomad

Postby ballu » Mon May 27, 2013 1:19 pm

Personally I've met wonderful people from many nationalities, and total jerks from all of those same nationalities...
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby bryan_rich » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Since USD is a currency of universal exchange this days, as well as english is an universal language of communication, I think it is normal that international tourists use it on theur travels.
bryan_rich
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby kcupp95 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:31 pm

bryan_rich wrote:Since USD is a currency of universal exchange this days, as well as english is an universal language of communication, I think it is normal that international tourists use it on theur travels.

Good luck with that attitude when traveling.
kcupp95

Postby Zuleika » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 pm

bryan_rich wrote:Since USD is a currency of universal exchange this days, as well as english is an universal language of communication, I think it is normal that international tourists use it on theur travels.

I think you are precisely the example I was thinking of when I posted originally, and as for the English language - well you obviously haven't travelled much.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Zuleika wrote:

I think you are precisely the example I was thinking of when I posted originally, and as for the English language - well you obviously haven't travelled much.

The precious US dollars wouldn't get him far in my country.
kcupp95

Postby Zuleika » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:19 pm

To be honest - its been a long time since my original post, I now feel that good luck to the countries where people insist on paying in dollars. These said people will get ripped off on whatever exchange rate suits the vendor at the time, and they can probably afford it. Fair enough.
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:25 pm

Why don't people just think of a few simple Q&A when they book a trip:

Q: Wonder what the national/regional language is?
A: Hmmm, I don't know that language. I know, maybe a phrase would help me get around and communicate a bit better.
Q: Oh, what's the local currency?
Q: Can I buy it in my country or when I land there?
A: Better exchange some in case I need it for a taxi to get to my first night of stay at least.
Q: Wonder if cards are accepted?
A: Better check which credit/debit cards are accepted. Oh, better let my bank know of my travel dates...don't want my cards blocked!

Adventure travel is to keep an open mind, accept what the country has to offer, not to judge (just because it's different doesn't make it wrong), interact with the locals, not to compare with home, accept a new culture (no-one's asking you to agree with it) and appreciate what you have...there's no room for ignorance or arrogance else you'll just won't know how to enjoy the experience. IMHO!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby collywobbles » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:31 pm

:D

Well said travelfun. :D
collywobbles

Postby willow0516 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Like others have said, USD are widely accepted and the preferred currency of some (non-US) countries. I'm Canadian, but bought USD for a trip to Jamaica as the exchange rate was better, and it's a lot easier for me to spend at home or on another trip. It was accepted everywhere I went and most places I went listed prices only in USD or in addition to JMD. So I don't think it's arrogant to wonder if USD might be accepted in a foreign country.

That said, I have unfortunately encountered many of the arrogant Americans described above here in Canada. While pretty much everywhere will take USD, prices are listed in CAD only. In my former life in the service industry, I have had Americans get angry that we didn't list prices in their currency, couldn't give change in USD, and that vending machines wouldn't take American bills (they usually do take the coins.) Of course this was only a very small majority of the people, but it certainly made an impression.
willow0516
User Rank: Traveller

Postby leahlovestravel » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:48 am

willow0516 wrote:Like others have said, USD are widely accepted and the preferred currency of some (non-US) countries.

Preferred? Not really....I'd totally agree with the points TravelFun has said.
I've only been to 14 countries and the only two I've had trouble getting local currency for before traveling is Romania and Bulgaria. And all of them had ATM's while there to get cash along the way.

In fact there are many countries where if you have to use US $, it needs to be newer bills in excellent shape.

English is not universal either, especially if you venture out of bigger cities.

But that's half the fun!
If it does not bring you joy, why are you doing it?

leahlovestravel

Postby willow0516 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:07 pm

leahlovestravel wrote:
willow0516 wrote:Like others have said, USD are widely accepted and the preferred currency of some (non-US) countries.

Preferred? Not really....

Yes, there are some non-US countries where people like/prefer getting USD. I didn't say all, but some. For those people, buying USD at below-market (and reselling it at a more favourable rate) can add a second layer of profitability to a transaction. When our dollar was really bad, I used to love getting USD as we exchanged it at $1.15-$1.20 (the normal exchange rate offered by retailers) but I could resell it for $1.30+. It's a pretty normal scenario in countries where other currencies (USD, euros, whatever) are widely accepted.
willow0516

Postby Janice08 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:24 pm

This conversation has me thinking about an incident that occurred with us in Guatemala last year. A young boy approached us on the street. He was selling something, which is common in the area, and when we said no, he asked us to exchange a Canadian loonie ($1 coin) for American or Guatemalan. We did as I felt sorry for the kid. Here he was trying to earn a little money, and some fellow Canadian gave him a coin that he couldn't possibly exchange or spend. While unlike in the US, $1 US coins are readily available in Central America, and a Canadian should know the difference even if a Guatemalan kid doesn't. So whatever money you use, please don't rip off the person you are exchanging it with. That $1 might be all they earn that day.
Janice08

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:00 pm

leahlovestravel wrote:

Preferred? Not really....I'd totally agree with the points TravelFun has said.

willow0516 is correct, USD are preferred in some countries. I found people preferred to get USD in Argentina, Tanzania, and Zambia among other places. In fact, I occasionally got a better-than-official exchange rate for paying in USD but I would never assume people want to get USD -- particularly in a country that has a stable economy.

There are unfortunately some arrogant Americans out there just as there are arrogant Europeans and people of other nationalities but I hope (suspect?) the myths and perceptions of arrogant Americans is more widespread than the reality these days.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic