Your Favourite Place

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Your Favourite Place

Postby laurenmay » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:57 pm

At 21 I haven't been to every continent and every country, but can still pick my favourites.

I'm gonna go for the classic New York City, I have been lucky enough to go twice and both times it has blown me away. I have very fond memories of last summer in San Francisco, I thought the hearts around the city were inspiring and upbeat!

Rome and Florence, beautiful! Don't bother with Venice; those are the gems.

Also the island of Brac in Croatia is incredible - its small and remote, the Zlatni Rat is wonderful and the weather is roasting!

What does everyone else think? Where is/are your favourite place/es? And why?
laurenmay
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Your Favourite Place

Postby JaliscoJudy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Great topic laurenmay.

A favorite place? Just one?

Thinking about it, I realized that none of my favorite places are cities. The memories that make me grin when I encounter them are usually vistas or plants and animals, and sometimes weather (spent a weekend at a lightening field once -- log cabin and 400 lightening rods in the middle of nowhere -- hoping for a big storm) -- the San Rafael Swell in Utah, a view over the jungle from the top of a Mayan pyramid in the Yucatan, blooming ocotillo cacti in Joshua Tree National Park, a California Condor landing 30 feet away at the Grand Canyon, leaf-cutter ants in Belize, thousands of Monarch butterflies bursting free from the trees in Mexico, an electric eel sliding away into the undergrowth in the rainforest of the Napo River in Ecuador, a glimpse of a jaguarundi, saguaro cacti (friendly, or what?), geckos, seeing fish swimming at the bottom of the Colorado River on nighttime, full moon canoe ride, toucans, flowers, moss, fungi, moths, howler monkeys, giant worms in the cloud forest, birds anywhere, being able to see forever. Ah, I just feel so good just thinking about these places. :D

Ok, one favorite place (area): The red rock desert country in the southwest of the US. There is something about it that feeds my soul. That's where I want my ashes to go -- or, better yet, just let the ravens pick my bones.
C R E A T E .H A P P I N E S S .& .C O M M U N I T Y
"creating happiness is a privilege we all share"
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/
JaliscoJudy

Postby laurenmay » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:14 am

Wow!...see I knew people would have fantastic favourite places, we should all share them and inspire each other; remind ourselves why we constantly day dream about these beautiful far off lands.

LOVE the Lightening story - crazy! How did you end up doing that??

I suppose I should be cursed for forgetting to put Grand Canyon on my list, it is extreme (Hoover Dam not so much, eh!) but then again I didn't have a condor jump out on my trip there!
laurenmay

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:16 pm

I loved Florence but preferred Venice to Rome. I think Florence was my favorite city in Italy -- simply beautiful with gorgeous architecture and very walkable.

In no particular order,

South Luangwa National Park, Zambia -- amazing sunsets and there was something just extraordinary about having elephants and hippos coming through the campsite.

Aegina Island, Greece -- quiet peaceful little port town

Copenhagen, Denmark -- expensive visit but a simply beautiful city and very walkable, Danny Kaye's song from the movie "Hans Christian Andersen" kept rumbling through my head

Philmont Scout Ranch, New Mexico -- heaven on earth for the outdoorsman

Bay of Islands, North Island, New Zealand -- got to spend 3 weeks there on a sheep ranch nearly 30 years ago. Beautiful rolling hills, gorgeous sunsets, fantastic fishing, friendly people.

Syros, Greece -- fun island with lots to do, touristy but GREEK touristy

Naxos, Greece -- same as above

Geiranger, Norway -- fjords and the Troll's Road are just amazing

Santorini, Greece -- beautiful island, great food, amazing clear waters, swimming in the crater is such an experience

Neko Harbour, Antarctica -- penguins!

Honolulu, Hawaii
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:54 pm

laurenmay wrote:Wow!...see I knew people would have fantastic favourite places, we should all share them and inspire each other; remind ourselves why we constantly day dream about these beautiful far off lands.

LOVE the Lightning story - crazy! How did you end up doing that??

I suppose I should be cursed for forgetting to put Grand Canyon on my list, it is extreme (Hoover Dam not so much, eh!) but then again I didn't have a condor jump out on my trip there!

The lightning field is totally crazy. It is an art installation by Walter De Maria in New Mexico. It's managed by the Dia Art Foundation: http://www.diaart.org/sites/main/lightningfield

From the website:
[There are] 400 polished stainless steel poles installed in a grid array measuring one mile by one kilometer. The poles -- two inches in diameter and averaging 20 feet and 7½ inches in height -- are spaced 220 feet apart and have solid pointed tips that define a horizontal plane. A sculpture to be walked in as well as viewed..."

We didn't have lightning when we went, but it was a very memorable experience anyway.

I'm with you on the Hoover Dam, although I took a multi-day canoe below the dam that is still one of my all time fav experiences (though my marriage was touch-and-go for awhile until we learned to cooperate in driving the canoe). We took our canoes out at night during a full moon and could see the fish swimming at the bottom of the Colorado River in the moonlight. Unreal.
JaliscoJudy

Postby georginal » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:01 am

Favourite Place- My bed, wherever it happens to be in this world!!!

No, just having a laugh, but on a more serious note:

Tulum, Mexico - spectacular beach

Philae Temple, Egypt for the boat ride and its peace

Tsitsikamma National Park, South Africa

Zanzibar, Tanzania cos we had such a great group and the Full Moon party was so much fun!

Whitsunday Islands, Australia - more beaches

I didn't realise there was going to be a beach theme here until I worte it. But my ultimate favourite place is my home city, LONDON, for its nightlife and you can do pretty much anything you want there. Its just a shame I can't afford to live there anymore.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby laurenmay » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:55 am

JaliscoJudy wrote:
I'm with you on the Hoover Dam, although I took a multi-day canoe below the dam that is still one of my all time fav experiences (though my marriage was touch-and-go for awhile until we learned to cooperate in driving the canoe). We took our canoes out at night during a full moon and could see the fish swimming at the bottom of the Colorado River in the moonlight. Unreal.

I can imagine the lovers spat in a canoe... I had a very similar experience in Brac with a friend when we were arguing the best way to control the kayak! That sounds incredible - I think sometimes we forget how much beauty there is close to home (your home!)

georginal wrote:Favourite Place- My bed, wherever it happens to be in this world!!!

Why didn't we all put that?! It is of course the general consensus that the bed is the best place in the world.

georginal wrote:I didn't realise there was going to be a beach theme here until I worte it. But my ultimate favourite place is my home city, LONDON, for its nightlife and you can do pretty much anything you want there. Its just a shame I can't afford to live there anymore.

I never seem to love London as much as my friends, not sure why when I love New York and San Francisco, not sure what aversion I have to London! Beach theme - why not! Love the Zanzibar Full Moon Party, I'll put that one on my to do list!

(P.S. very proud I managed to work out this quoting system :) )
laurenmay

Postby shava » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:33 pm

My favourite place is without a doubt St. Petersburg, Russia. What a beautiful city... my home away from home. 8)
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
shava
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:25 am

I've wanted to visit St. Petersburg since I wandered it with Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment.

Shava, your avatar is a kick!
JaliscoJudy

Postby gaja » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:07 pm

Of all places I've visited so far, Cape Town and the Cape Peninsula is my favorite one, followed by the nice little town Upsalla in Sweden.
All my posts and recommendations just represent my personal opinion and experience.
gaja

Postby laurenmay » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Cape town - definitely on my list. A friend is moving to Sweden soon so will hopefully be pestering her for a cheeky visit!

That avatar is indeed brilliant, anything I try to upload for mine is deemed too large. Also, off-topic sorry, but does anybody know how I go about putting the amount of days till my trip underneath my posts? I love reading where people are going!!!
laurenmay

Postby JaliscoJudy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:08 pm

laurenmay wrote:Cape town - definitely on my list. A friend is moving to Sweden soon so will hopefully be pestering her for a cheeky visit!

That avatar is indeed brilliant, anything I try to upload for mine is deemed too large. Also, off-topic sorry, but does anybody know how I go about putting the amount of days till my trip underneath my posts? I love reading where people are going!!!

Go here for your trip countdown: http://www.gapadventures.com/widgets/
JaliscoJudy

Postby laurenmay » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:11 pm

Thank you, JaliscoJudy! It looks pretty, huh :D
laurenmay

Postby shava » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:09 pm

JaliscoJudy wrote:I've wanted to visit St. Petersburg since I wandered it with Raskolnikov in Crime and Punishment.

Shava, your avatar is a kick!

thx :lol:

Piter is awesome. If you wander around Sennaya Plochad etc., where some of the key sites are, you really feel as if the story is unfolding in front of your eyes...
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
shava

Postby onyx007 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:29 am

Here I am.

My favourite continent is Australasia, as I spent in Australia and New Zealand 7 month and travelled all over the place.

But as JaliscoJudy, when I think of favourite, which make me dreamy I put this on my list:

- Climbing Mount Sinai in Egypt for sunrise
- also a sunrise boat trip on River Ganges in Varanasi / India (on my birthday !)
- having a "Surf and Turf"-Lunch on top of Hancock-Tower in Chicago / USA
- hiking up Mt. Yufuin in Japan
- seeing my first wild Lion and later my first wild elephants up close in Kruger Park / South Africa
- celebrating my sisters birthday on top of CN Tower in Toronto / Canada
- hiking to the sun gate off Machu Picchu in Peru
- sailing on a bamboo boat on Lake Titi Caca also in Peru
- cycling around the rice paddies in Yangshuo / China
- standing in front of Potala Palace in Lhasa / Tibet
- jumping from the Skytower in Auckland / New Zealand (twice in a row)
- hiking (and not climbing) around Mount Uluru in Australia
- snorkling Great Barrier Reef in Australia
- skiing in Thredbo, Snowy Mountains in Australia
- with open mouth and goose bumps on the grounds of KZ Auschwitz in Poland
- getting wet in a boat under the Iguassu water falls / Argentina/Brazil
- riding a horse and hearding cows on the plains in Uruguay
- standing in front of a 40 Meters high monument of Genggis Khan in Mongolia
- climbing the sun pyramid of Teotihuacan in Mexico
- jumping in a bottomless cenote near Merida in Mexico
- Ziplining in Labadee / Haiti
- and finally (this one makes me ashamed and loughing at the same time) vomiting behind
the hut where Fidel Castro's bed was at the „Comandancia de la Plata“ in the mountains in Cuba
Last edited by onyx007 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
onyx007

Next

Return to Off-topic