Travel Epiphany?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Travel Epiphany?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Although we enjoyed sleeping under the stars as kids, as adults my husband and I preferred sleeping under “5 Stars”. Several years ago our daughter convinced her Dad and I to celebrate her university graduation (and our 50th birthdays) by hiking the Inca Trail. As I was gasping at the top of Dead Woman’s Pass I realised how much more real this life was. Upon our return I joined a gym, lost 20 pounds, and have planned enough hiking/camping trips that I probably can’t fit them all in with the time and money I have left! I still like those 5 star places when required for my husband’s work travel but the little local 1 and 2 star backpacking hotels seem more real to me, more friendly, and they have a whole lot more interesting stories attached to them. I now live for them!

My name is Kim and I had my epiphany at Dead Woman’s Pass, Inca Trail, 4215 metres above sea level, age 50.

Where was yours?
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Re: Travel Epiphany?

Postby happy hoatzin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Good for you.
Traveling does have it's magical moments.
I hope you continue on your journeys.
I will continue on mine for many reasons. One big one is the "realness" you mentioned. I get it.
Perhaps someday our paths will meet.
I'm off to the Galapagos in two weeks and next....who knows.
Dream big-then do! :D
happy hoatzin
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby einmalumdiewelt » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:51 am

I got hooked on travelling when I was sitting on a riverbank of the Norwegian fjords :) Beautiful and sublime.
einmalumdiewelt
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby collywobbles » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi :D

I got hooked on adventure travel when I first took the plunge and did the Inca trail and visiting surrounding areas in Peru. It was my first real adventure trip camping on the trail under the stars ,the Amazonian Jungle Lodge. drinking cocoa tea chewing cocoa leaves like my life depended on it before the trek, :lol: and after the trek the aches and pains I had after it. It was all worth it. I have also met so many fantastic people who are likeminded and shared their adventure stories. so much so that I have just come back from my 5th G adventure trip . Realm of the Polar Bear. What can I say about it . Read what I wrote and look at the photos . That just makes it worth while. Also it drives my friends nuts when they ask Where are you going next year? :lol: When I tell people I did Inca trek. walked with lions in Africa, paraglided off a mountain in Nepal and spent 4/5 hrs photographing a polar bear what's not to like. :!: Its been a fantastic journey and I still have a few more places to go to before my friends think I should be locked up hahah :lol: just kidding. They just jealous.

cheers until the next big adventure,
collywobbles
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby lesliew » Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:24 pm

I think my travel epiphany was probably when I was lying in a tent by myself on the Serengeti in October 2011 on G's Tanzanian Camping Safari. It was my first solo trip. I suddenly realized "I'm lying in this tent halfway across the world from home, I can hear hyenas just outside, I have to pee in a hole in the ground and be careful about drinking the water, and I'm just fine. I CAN travel abroad all by myself and don't need to stay home just because no one else can go on the trip." Since then, I've also gone on G's Realm of the Polar Bear and it was just as amazing and I met some lasting friends. Like collywobbles, friends and co-workers constantly ask "where are you going next?? What wild animal are you going to look for this time??" :)

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Return to Off-topic