100 countries club?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby retireme » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:02 pm

question - do swaziland and zululand count different than south africa? i think lesotho is independent and counts.
retireme
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Zuleika » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:08 pm

41 countries and 6 continents - still plenty more to go yet.........

I didnt count Scotland and Wales as separate, nor countries that I never left the airport!
Have been back to a heck of lot of places more than once - just to make sure!

Thailand is my record - 10 times!

Anyone else been back to their fav place a lot??? How many times?

Thought I had done a lot till I saw someone has done 20 before they're even 21yrs!!!!!!!

PS Swaziland - defo separate country - I have the stamp!
"Live the life you love, Love the life you live"
Zuleika
User Rank: Road Warrior

favorite places

Postby debandpat » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:11 pm

my favorite place in the world that i know... puerto vallarta, mexico; 27 times. haven't been for a long time... so many places to see and so little time, but i plan to retire there! peace, d&p
debandpat
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Re: favorite places

Postby Zuleika » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:36 pm

debandpat wrote:my favorite place in the world that i know... puerto vallarta, mexico; 27 times. haven't been for a long time... so many places to see and so little time, but i plan to retire there! peace, d&p

27!!!! WOW - I need to check this place out!!!!!!!!!
Zuleika

Postby tts » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:34 pm

I live in Canada and have traveled in Canada and the US, but not extensively. Before that I lived in Europe and travelled pretty much every Western European country. I haven't been to Eastern Europe since the collapse of the Soviet Union, maybe it's time to revisit. I remember travelling through Yugoslavia and through East Berlin. The Berlin images of the border guards, the barb wire and the german sheppards are still in my memory. I heard there is now a good cycling route through the historic East and West side of Berlin.
France and England are probably my most favourite countries, visited them at least 4 times each. This year it will be Italy, it'll be my third time there. But I don't think these countries quite place me in the 100 Club :wink:
Oh and I want to add that I would have been to many more places than that if it wasn't for full-time work getting in the way! But have to pay for the travels somehow :? I'm sure all you trekkers understand the dilemma.
tts
User Rank: Weekender

Re: 100 countries club?

Postby retireme » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:43 pm

wow deb 27 times to puerto vallarta. i made it to the dominican republic earlier this year for a wedding so i am at 13 countries now. saving money for going all around africa, it is taking longer than i hoped but i want to make sure it is the best trip ever!
retireme

Postby rumney » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:41 pm

We're at 15 but upcoming GAP trip to Ecuador and Peru will put us at 17 still a long way to go to 100 but we're trying.
Happy travels to all.
rumney

Postby voidczech » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:01 pm

WOW! What a great topic ... one that gets your brain working ....

If my memory's correct, then I've now been to 19 countries. And after completing this trip I'll be up to 28 (this next trip's a huge score in the country-counting department)!

On the continent side, my Africa trip will be the 4th one, having already been to N.America, S.America, Europe. I'll still have to go to Asia, Australia, Middle East, Central America, Anarctica. Yes, I know this is 8 ... but this is how I divy it all up! haha

As a Canadian, I also intend to travel the full length of my country, and visit every province and territory. So far I've gone to 6 out of the 10 provinces, and 0 territories .... no worries though, I'll get there!

Cheers!
Simone

The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page." -- St. Augustine
voidczech
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby Accpay » Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:03 pm

Every Continent plus 27 countries.
Accpay

Postby reston94 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:03 pm

This seems like a thread worth bumping back to the top.

I'm at 21 (not including my native US) so far but will add two more in the next two months: Qatar and Iraq. Ones checked off to date include Canada (Winnipeg and Ontario), Mexico, UK (all parts except Northern Ireland), Ireland, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Spain, South Korea, Bosnia, Croatia, Hungary, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Japan, Czech Republic, Poland, Slovakia, Philippines, and Taiwan.

To be fair, El Salvador was just a couple of layovers (one for 12 hours, though) and I just drove through Croatia and Liechtenstein, but some were repeat trips, like living in South Korea for a year and going back four times, spending a few weeks in Japan each year, lots of Germany and UK trips, etc.

As another member mentioned above, the trick is to minimize repeat visits, but it's hard to do. I plan to add two to four new countries a year for the next few years. Happy travels!
reston94
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby nikimarcotte » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:42 pm

Tally in progress:
NORTH AMERICA:Canada,USA,Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama
EUROPE: England, Ireland, N.Ireland, Wales, Scotland, France, Spain, Italy, Vatican City, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Greece
ASIA: Turkey...and will be adding China, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia this fall
AFRICA: Egypt...have to go back and do a major africa tour in a couple of years.
AUSTRALIA: Australia, New Zealand, Fiji (how sad i don't even know what continents some islands belong to, but i will put it here anyways)
SOUTH AMERICA: on my list
ANTARCTICA: also on my list
Only at 30 thus far, but will be at 35 by the end of 2009..can hardly wait!
nikimarcotte
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby andrea_s » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:52 pm

England
Scotland (I live there!)
Wales
France
Spain
Germany
Italy
Belguim
Austria
Switzerland
Luxembourg
Liechtenstein
Egypt
The USA
Canada
Australia
Malaysia (probably doesn't count as I only saw the airport)
Thailand (again, I only saw the airport, stopover on route to Oz)

I've also been to a few random places that I'm not sure where they count - Ie Gibraltar.

Definitely off to Poland this year and hopefully China and Japan, so that will be another three to the list.
andrea_s

Postby MitchN » Wed May 13, 2009 1:01 am

Im at 15. Not bad considering im 16. I am going to Egypt in a couple months and am moving to Kuwait for the next couple years. I am stopping in Germany on the way and will definately do extensive travelling of the middle east while in Kuwait.

That will put me at 18 countries by the time im 16 years old! :D
"we are the True North strong and free and what’s more
is that we didn’t just say it, we made it be." - Shane Kocyzan
MitchN

Postby Zuleika » Wed May 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Gibraltar is British.
As are England, N Ireland, Scotland and Wales - we all have the same passport - United Kingdom - so therefore this is one country.
Southern Ireland is separate however.

Just to clear that one up.
Zuleika

Postby mellowdee » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:06 pm

13, will be 16 in a little over a month after my SE Asia trip. Plus 5 continents. And 43 US states, will be 44 by the end of the summer.

I say places only count if I eat a meal outside of the airport, spend the night, or drive from border to border.
mellowdee

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic