100 countries club?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby retireme » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:00 pm

ohhh trina, that travbuddy thing is neat.
i do agree we should not only focus on how many places we have seen, but i like to give myself big goals so 100 countries is a nice goal.
i have not spent my birthday or xmas in any other countries, i think that would be the strangest thing when you are travelling for so long, being away for holidays and special occasions?
retireme
User Rank: Nomad

Postby bluesforshoes » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:07 pm

Last year I spent my birthday in Beijing. It was incredible to be standing on the Great Wall on my birthday. This year I'll be spending Xmas and New Years in Peru, which I'm very much looking forward to.

-Jeremy
My modest travel site: http://www.jgtravels.net
bluesforshoes
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby Cathen » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:52 am

Hey Jeremy
I'll be in Peru for the Holidays as well - are you going on a Gap trip? My friend and I are doing the Altiplano Expedition with departure from Lima the 11th of December!?
Cheers, Cathrine
Cathen
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby bluesforshoes » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:51 pm

Cathrine,

Yeah, I'm doing GAP's Essence of Peru, which leaves on December 21. Always wanted to see Machu Picchu.

-Jeremy
My modest travel site: http://www.jgtravels.net
bluesforshoes

Postby retireme » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:12 pm

bluesforshoes, that is cool. a great way to see the world too, travel on your birthday!
retireme

Postby Tall Paul » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:03 pm

Hey;

I'll take 10 countries well-explored over 100 countries skipped through...any day of the week. :D

Paul
Tall Paul
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby retireme » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:57 am

i think i'll go for the 100 countries first, then pick my 10 best from that list to return to and explore in depth
:D
retireme

Postby Tall Paul » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:59 am

I ain't gonna live that long.
Tall Paul

Postby retireme » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:36 pm

...and maybe i am too optimistic. if i have fun and am satisfied with my travels that is the biggest thing, skipping through is never satisfying. a year in each place makes it impossible. i'll search for that happy middle ground, then maybe return to earth as a bird in my next life. that way it will be easy and cheap to re-visit places.
:D
retireme

Postby Tall Paul » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:43 pm

Hey;

I've only done 20 countries, so I don't expect that tally to go too far past 50, unless I cheat and do a two week whirlwind cruise in the Caribbean or the grand tour of Europe like some deranged backpacker with a Eurail pass.
:P
Paul
Tall Paul

birthdays abroad...

Postby debandpat » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:09 pm

hey all... i turned 54 at ait ben haddou in morocco on october 27th on the "highlights of morocco" tour. our guide el houssine got me the most beautiful cake i have ever seen, and 15 of us plus our guide and driver shared cake and a toast. it was the most wonderful birthday i've ever had, and will never be forgotten. thank you GAP, el houssine, lachen, and our wonderful group. it will be a birthday to be remembered always. thank you from the bottom of my heart. deb
debandpat

Postby retireme » Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:50 am

wow deb, that is a great sounding way to celebrate your birthday. morocco sounds like a great country and i will visit one day. since i prefer wildlife, i think maybe morocco will have to wait awhile. (the morocco desert and cities do look amazing though!)
retireme

Postby catrionag » Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:19 pm

Off to Costa Rica next month - that will make number 33 (mostly thanks to family camping trips all round Europe as a kid - East and West Germany plus Czech Republic were done in 1979 so I assume they still count?).

Would love to do lots more, but don't think my bank balance is up to the task!
Cat
catrionag

Postby blobert_coltrane » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:13 pm

I've never counted.... Ireland, England, Wales, NI, Scotland, Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Poland, Denmark, Sweden, Andorra, Iceland, USA, Canada, Oz. think that makes 19..! But I agree with tall paul here, the countries i stayed longest in (iceland, oz, usa, denmark italy and france) i enjoyed a lot more because i really got to know what they were about, really got the full experience. a while back i was trying to aim for a certain amount of countries by the time i was 25, then 30 and so on but since i have realised there's no point in being in a country for a day or 2!
blobert_coltrane
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby jimshu » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:27 pm

Yes great to see some big travellers here.Keep this going.
43 for me and my lovely wife.And I will add 2 more this year.And she gets to race ahead with me getting off in Namibia while she carries through Botswana and Zambia to Vic Falls.
We have been travelling since 1974....but had to take a holiday to raise the kids and pay off the mortgage....so back on the trail!

But even then, we bought an old caravan and travelled around NZ.Now all 3 of our kids have the travel bug....how we wish they'd settle down and just give us some grandchildren!Probably our own fault somehow....
LEAD WITH SERVICE
Our passion for travel is rivaled only by our commitment to those we serve
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

jimshu

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic