100 countries club?

If it's not related to travel it goes here.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Postby retireme » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:43 pm

hey gramnome and gumby, i'm impressed again, more big travelers. i suppose i am still quite young and have plenty of time to reach 100. i just have to average about 1.5 countries per year from now on, since i do not plan to overstay my welcome on this little planet.

so should we all band together and start a company? if i can handle africa, i'm in.
:D
those educational trips sound fun, my schools never did much more than the usual italy or france type things - yawn!
retireme
User Rank: Nomad

Postby gumby81 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:44 am

I, too, am young - and hopefully always will be! :)
The trick is trying not to revisit places you've already been - I'm not a good example since I just can't seem to stop going to Brasil, Argentina, and Japan (my most visited).

Travel company? Sure, I'm in! You can handle Africa, as long as I get to do Latin America and the Artic/Antarctic regions. :)

Keep on traveling!!

Cheers,
Zac
gumby81
User Rank: Traveller

Postby gramnome » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:08 pm

Hey, retireme and gumby - I do love South America, but I'd fight you for Africa. My heart is with the animals. As you can tell by my nom de plume, I am getting kinda old. My advice to all you young traverers is do it while you are young - especially the hard stuff. It only gets harder with age. I went to see the mountain gorillas in Uganda about 10 years ago but I'd never be able to do it now. I'm rapidly approaching the age of sitting on a cruise ship and watching the world float by.
gramnome
gramnome who loves to travel.
gramnome
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby Chixta » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:35 am

Hmmmm... I've never actually counted, so here goes...

Singapore, New Zealand, Australia, Cuba, France, Belgium, Switzerland, England (durr), Scotland, Ireland, Italy, America, Canada, Germany, Spain, Greece, Tenerife, Sweden, Czech Republic... and this summer I can add Costa Rica as my 20th country, and 4th Continent!! Wicked!!! 8)

Nowhere near 100, though I did go to somewhere in Germany as a baby (in 1980) so not sure whether that counts as a country that no longer exists...when actually did the Berlin Wall come down? :oops:
Chixta

Postby steve » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:05 pm

The wall came down in November 1989 so if you were there in 1980 you would have been in West Germany. I visited Berlin in 1983 and crossed Checkpoint Charlie into East Germany ... so I wonder if I can count that as two separate countries?
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time - T.S. Elliot
steve
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby Jake » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:20 pm

33 so far
Jake
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

100 countries club?

Postby gramnome » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:55 pm

-Seems to me that if you traveled to both East Berlin and West Berlin while the wall was still there, you traveled to 2 different countries. They sure were very different in culture as well.
gramnome

countries visited

Postby 700birdr » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:58 pm

I've been to about 50 or so, but can hardly qualify for the grand-daddy of this sort of thing, as a member in the Century Club, see http://www.travelerscenturyclub.org/ where they list all 300+ "countries that they regognize, and who's done what (some members have only missed visiting a dozen of all the countries possible!)
700birdr

Postby retireme » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:54 am

i think 100 countries is an achieveable target for almost anyone who enjoys travelling. a couple long trips (say one when you gradute and one when you retire?) can visit off many places of interest. Then if you take a trip every year or two, it should be no problem.

like gramnome said, it is the temptation to resist returning to the same place tat might stop some people. i have friends who go to jamaica for the 'beach' thing every year! (yaaaaawn.....yes it is fun, but the same thing, every year? yikes)
retireme

Postby eewles » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:36 pm

I never actually left Canada until I was 22 (26 now) so I'm a little behind in the travel department. I've only done 8 so far but have another 8 planned for the next 2 years. If only I could keep that pace up....
eewles

Postby D » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:40 am

I'm at 30 countries so far, including my home country Australia. I'm proud to say that when I embark on my Antarctica trip in Dec 07, I would have visited every continent on the planet.

Happy travels :)
D

Postby retireme » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:09 pm

good point eewles. not everyone has the luxury to travel from a young age. it seems like most people are around the 30 countries level around here, very impressive. next year i will start to catch up to you all!
retireme

Postby gramnome » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:19 pm

All you young and youngish people - don't worry about how many countries you get to, just keep on traveling. I am way over 100 countries by now, but didn't really get a chance to do much traveling until my 60s. The numbers do add up, but it's more important to really get to appreciate the individuality of whatever countries you visit. Each country has an appeal all it's own so enjoy it wherever you go.
gramnome

Postby Trina » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:21 pm

I am at 23 so far (Australia, Austria, Cambodia, Fiji, France, French Polynesia, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Laos, Luxembourg, Mexico, Netherlands, New Caledonia, New Zealand, Singapore, Slovakia, Switzerland, Thailand, England, USA, Vanuatu and Vietnam, didn't count Vatican City either) but after my 7 month holiday next year I will be up to 35.

Check out http://www.travbuddy.com you can create a map of all the places you have been to and meet up with others travelling to the same destination as well.
Trina

Postby Cathen » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:47 am

Hey everybody! I remember standing in front of a map when I was about 10 years old - I promised myself to experience at least 100 countries before 'stopping my travels'!
I've been to 21 countries and 4 continents so far - and will be celebrating my 21st birthday in Ecuador this November! :)

Great travelling!
Cathen

PreviousNext

Return to Off-topic