How early do you start packing your bags for a big trip?

Reconnect with friends you made on a recent G Adventures tour.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

On the day!
39%
2-3 days
14%
4-7 days
14%
1-2 weeks
11%
3-4 weeks
11%
1 to 2 months
7%
More than 2 months
4%

Total votes : 28

Postby avonord » Thu May 30, 2013 4:49 pm

People say I'm crazy when I take out my luggage a month in advance. I would start throwing things in over the course of the month as things come to mind. How early do you pack?
avonord
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: How early do you start packing your bags for a big trip?

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:39 am

I pack day of, or night before if it's a really early flight. I start making a list ahead of time and write down any unusual things but I pretty much take the same things on every trip. I travel very light so the packing doesn't take long!
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer
User Rank: Explorer

Postby bluesforshoes » Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:06 pm

Almost always the night before, or I at least put everything out the night before and then pack them the day of.

Jeremy G.
My modest travel site: http://www.jgtravels.net
bluesforshoes
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby bec_1989 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:17 pm

The timing on when a big trip takes place makes an impact on when I pack. The next trip I'm taking (and my first overseas) I fly out the day after boxing day (2 days after christmas).

As you can imagine, shopping for little odds and end days before leaving is not a viable option. I've found myself gradually buying the odd item designated for my trip now. But I won't pack it. I'll put it aside for when it gets much closer. I'd say probably a week out of flying.

On other trips I've generally done it the day/night before. This trip I don't have that luxury, for we travel to some family and stay over Christmas. I'd be leaving for airport from there. So I'd have to pack for trip before we left for Christmas.

In the end, it comes down to the individual, as to when you start packing. I can only speak for myself. But I can honestly say I start thinking about what I need and what to pack a couple months prior. Whether it's putting it aside or writing a list. And then I'd pull out my case/bags probably 1-2 weeks away and put any clean clothes I'd want to take in (just so I don't use them and think "bugger I have to wash that before I go!"). And finally do the proper pack 1-2 days prior.

Happy Packing.
“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.”

:-D Rebecca
bec_1989
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby earth2al » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:27 am

If I were to count the day when I start my packing list, I'm probably beginning to pack several months prior to my trips since I'm forced, by my job, to pick my vacation times and destinations nearly 1 year in advance. But, to me, the best part is the anticipation!!! And I'll be picking my vaca time for 2014 in the next couple of weeks, SWEET!!!

Trust in Allah, but tie your camel... Prophet Muhammad
earth2al

Postby belihann » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:34 am

Since I travel 45 days most of the time, I do need to plan what items to take when travelling. I travel light. I use a checklist and get my luggage out a month before travel. I put everything in the luggage and two days before flight, I start my serious packing. Depending on activities, I try to shave off half of what I put in the luggage especially when I use my small backpack to travel. Checklist for me will always come in handy regardless of weeks, days or minutes I have to pack.
belihann
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby kcupp95 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:36 pm

Depends on what I'm taking.

Stuff I've bought specifically for the trip (specific clothes, thermals, toiletries etc) I'll put straight into my backpack to keep it out of the way.

Stuff I already own, I generally pack 1-2 days before - leave enough time to get to the shops in case I've forgotten anything!!
kcupp95
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to G Adventures Alumni