Peru and The Inca Trail

Reconnect with friends you made on a recent G Adventures tour.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Peru and The Inca Trail

Postby carrobers » Fri May 11, 2007 2:03 pm

Peru is amazing and Gap adventures makes everthing even better
The people were very friendly and the first part of my trip was to the jungle, this was not so very different from The Everglades, ( where I spent a lot of time camping years ago) but the Lodge and the food was amazing - even private bathrooms with porcelain toilets and a very welcome cold shower after trudging through the jungle in my gum boots searching for non existent animals ( any group of people will not stay quiet enough to creep up on any animals) but the camaraderie of my new found friends was far greater than seeing any large Tapir or Amazon Cayman. Our guides were very informative and knowledgeable, and I climbed a 70' tower (with difficulty - as heights and that swaying movement are very disconcerting) but it was worth it as the view over the jungle canopy and the river was fantastic. We traveled back to "Civilization" via motorized canoe, and flew over the Andes (awesome views from the plane) to Cuzco where I spent a couple of days exploring this fascinating city with Incan ruins and buildings all around.
Now - The Inca Trail - only 5 of our group of 12 were hiking the trail - myself, 2 Australian girls and an Irish couple and of course our guide. There were 11 porters to carry our tents food and overnight bags (we only carried our day packs) I found what the porters did -inhumane but was informed they needed the jobs - but $45 for 3 days of cooking carrying (gas cylinders tents food etc on their backs) and catering to our needs - I felt was more like slavery than work. We walked for 3 1/2 days. The first day was amazing I saw humming birds and although I was totally last walking through some of the villages and seeing the local farmers and the views will never be forgotten. ( We had baked salmon for lunch - How did those porters do that?) the 2ND and 3rd day was extremely difficult and looking ahead was totally overwhelming - at times - for me but when you looked back at the awesome scenery and what you had achieved - this helped motivate more climbing - I was very fortunate that I traveled with such an excellent group of people/guide who encouraged me, if it had not been for them and my grim determination I would not have made it. We walked about 12 KM per day mostly up and down with a lot of steps someone told me about 12000 steps on the trail and I do not exaggerate when I say some of these steps were as high or higher than my knee cap. Walking above the mountain tops, and seeing the tops peeking through clouds was a sight one will never forget. The 4Th morning when I saw Machu Pichuu I felt so euphoric it lasted about 36 hours and gave me an energy that I could certainly have used on day 3 and 4.
I had a wonderful time- was it hard? Yes - extremely hard for me (although we did see some 20 year olds returning on the first day?!!)
Am I glad I did it - Oh yes I had wanted to do this for so long I am really happy that I achieved this.
Would I do it again? No - if I go again I will take the train - as I believe no matter how much I trained it would always be very difficult for me - My eternal gratitude to my guide and co travelers, without their help and encouragement I would not have made it.
carrobers
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to G Adventures Alumni