Average group make up

Reconnect with friends you made on a recent G Adventures tour.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Average group make up

Postby rogerbbb » Mon May 05, 2014 7:03 am

Hi guys,

I know there probably wont be an 'average' group, but out of interest what is the normal make up of groups, do you get a lot of single travellers, or couples of small groups of friends that go ?

I am interested as I will be a single traveller, I know its unlikely I wont be on my own just wanted to check if normally there are big groups of friends that go together or whether that is quite rare? As Id like opportunity to make some new friends!

Thinking of going Vietnam/Cambodia :)

Thanks
rogerbbb
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Average group make up

Postby Janice08 » Mon May 05, 2014 1:45 pm

Most groups I've been on have had a good mix of single travellers, adult family groups (siblings, mother/daughter, etc.) and couples. I've only been on one trip where there were no singles - 1 couple and 2 pairs of friends - but we all got along great. Usually there have been 4 or 5 singles on my trips. A few times the number of singles has decreased as the trip progressed and the number of couples has increased. :o

Don't sign up for the single supplement and you'll likely be given a roommate. Even if you have your own room, others will be sure to include you during free time, or you be the one to take the initiative and others will join you. Groups tend to eat most meals together anyways so you won't be eating alone unless you choose to.

Go for it. You'll have a great time.
Janice08
User Rank: Nomad

Postby rogerbbb » Mon May 05, 2014 3:06 pm

Thanks for the info, I think I will, I am just worried that I'll get unlucky and end up on a tour with a load of couples of people who already know each other and want to hang around with each other, I want to meet new people and be with people in the same boat so we can go exploring together!!
rogerbbb

Postby TravelFun » Mon May 05, 2014 3:30 pm

Most trips I've been on it's been pretty much split between singles and couples/friends and most get on. As mentioned, take the initiative to do things together during free time and even couples/friends can become new friends too.

Go for it and you'll have a great time.
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby dreaded_luggage » Sat May 10, 2014 12:19 pm

1) Vietnam and Cambodia: good choice! Try everything on the menu.

2) I've done 4 trips with G now and there have always been couples and singles with us. You've already got enough in common to be doing the same trip, so you're off to a good start.
dreaded_luggage
User Rank: Traveller

Postby kcupp95 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:55 pm

Depends on the trip style as well.

I did a camping one which had 8 solo travellers and one mother/son couple. Because of the nature of camping there was a tonne of socialization because let's face it you didn't have anywhere else to go.

I then did a standard one. Hotels and using public/private transport and there was two couples and me. Definitely wasn't the level of bonding as there was on the camping tour.
kcupp95

Postby dreaded_luggage » Fri May 16, 2014 12:11 pm

Indeed. The more you have only each other, the more you bond.

The less you have only each other, the less it matters if you don't bond all that well, because you can bond with the locals instead.

Before the start of my last tour, some lad on a motorbike showed me around Hanoi and he and his friend bought me tea and beer, then I bought them and the taxi driver lunch at a fish farm / snake farm / restaurant / sculpture park place they knew out of town. It was good.
dreaded_luggage

Postby belihann » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:03 am

I've been on several trips with G Adventures and we always had singles in our group. Most activities were done as a group so you will never feel left out. I just got back from a wonderful trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. Again, the group consisted of singles and couples. So, just relax , be yourself, and have fun.
belihann
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:47 pm

Every trip I've been on has had at least one single ... 8) In fact, I can't think of one that didn't have a significant portion of singles (at least one leg of a trip had only singles).
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby lesliew » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:42 am

I've been on two G trips as a single traveler and was never the only one. Even if you are, I find that the groups are always welcoming and everyone fits in. I didn't stick to just hanging out with the other single travelers. You are all there with the same purpose so you'll likely find alot of people like yourself!

lesliew

Return to G Adventures Alumni