realm of the polar bear in depth aug 6th to 16th

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

realm of the polar bear in depth aug 6th to 16th

Postby collywobbles » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi all

I just thought I would write a few things about a recent trip I made with g adventures. Realm of the Polar Bear in depth. I am just back from it. Where does one start I ask. It was the most amazing trip I have ever done. well worth doing for any one who is considering doing this trip. Right from day 1 when we checked into the Ms expedition to the very Last day we checked out on the 16th in the early hours of the morning at 3.00am :lol: . The whole trip was very well organized. The staff on board ship were 5 star. the food accomadation 5 star. The expedition staff were excellent very enthusiastic when giving various lectures, very informative. We were very lucky on our trip. The weather could not have been better. blue skies 5/6 degrees most days . cold but dry. The scenery is beautiful . We went to the Artic Ice edge and were very lucky to see bearded seal, walrus and the best ever a polar bear sunbathing in the sun on the ice. We spend about 4/5 hrs just taking pictures of her. It was a she. She peed on the ice. :lol: :lol: I think she was posing for us. Lunch took a back seat that day. Through out our trip we see about 10 polar bears. Saw little reindeer as polar bear was on the beach the day we going to land on the island to see them. And of course the polar plunge which was bloody freezing 1 degrees. but brilliant. Disembarkment was made very easy by the staff. Overall a fab trip well worth doing. still sorting my 2000 odd photos. :lol: Hoping to upload a few photos soon.

cheers
collywobbles :D
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: realm of the polar bear in depth aug 6th to 16th

Postby TravelFun » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:51 pm

Nice one and thanks for the write-up...it certainly sounds like you had an amazing experience.

Happy Travels :P
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby lesliew » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:42 pm

I went on Realm of the Polar Bear last summer and wish I could do it every year! One of the most amazing experiences!

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Postby panji » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:01 pm

Nice to hear about your voyage. I will soon be going for a Svalbard Express tour.. I guess that even if I get to see half of what you saw / experienced that will be good anyway!
panji
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby matsnz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:11 pm

I can only reiterate all that Collette (Collywobbles) posted. The trip was all she described and a lot more. The raw enthusiasm of the guides meant that I was also keenly chasing around on hands and knees looking for the tiny flowers that were clinging to life in some small sheltered spot. That I did not expect.

The scenery, the animals, the unspoiled beauty of it all, the lack of all the visible bad things that humans bring and leave behind (long may that continue), stay in the mind as strongly as the photos do. And of course the close encounter with a beautiful polar bear - she could easily become a special friend although I think she would view me as breakfast rather than a friend!

Just as important was being able to mix with like-minded souls and not having to explain why I chose to go to the Arctic - everyone just understood that as a given.

A trip that will not be forgotten especially the great crowd of people there - they also contributed to it being an amazing trip. Roll on the next trip.

Cheers Martin
matsnz
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby collywobbles » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi Martin

Glad you had an amazing trip. It was my best trip ever. and even looking back on the photos I took especially of that amazing day with the Polar bear in which most of us skipped our Lunch because of her :lol: hope to post some photos soon.

cheers
:lol:

Ps I have uploaded some photos on www.flicker.com/photos/collywobbles
I hope ye can access them and hope ye like them

cheers guys.
collywobbles

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic