photography on the svalbard express

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

photography on the svalbard express

Postby alastairclarkson » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Hello,

17 days until the tour and I have been getting my camera equipment ready to go. I have a Nikon D3000 so I am not a serious photographer but want to get the most out of my photos.

I have a couple of questions:

I have just added a Nikon 80-400mm lens alongside my 18-55mm and 55-200mm lens. Am I going to be able to switch lenses when we are out exploring or is it choose one lens for each trip?

I really want to capture the landscape, should I be considering a wide angle lens? (I don't have much of a budget for it but would consider used then resell if needs be)

What would you recommend for waterproofing equipment on the zodiac?

I've never used a filter with my lenses, what should I get for the arctic landscape?

Finally any tips for first time arctic photo taking would be great and a hello to anyone else who is on the tour.

Thanks
alastairclarkson
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: photography on the svalbard express

Postby PaulTeolis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:15 pm

hi alastair,

I launched the photography program on board the M/S Expedition a couple of years back, so you will be happy to know there will be an experienced photographer on board your trip to help with any questions you might have.

I am currently gearing up for the coming Antarctica season.

I always keep my photo gear in a dry bag when going ashore or walking on ice only
because its the smart thing to do. In zodiacs there is always the possibility of splashes
and such, so its best to be prepared. Protection of your investment is key.

You would be smart to bring an extra lens for landscape shots. My advice for
changing lenses while outside is simply be aware of the wind direction, so best
to shield your gear with your body in the event of any flying specs of snow, or
moisture so they don't end up on your mirror.

Bring a dry cloth of chamois with you just in case.

For filters. I always recommend the standard ones, a UV or 1A filter for protection
on your lens and a polarizer for bring sunny days. ND filters can be fun to use as well.

anything else feel free to drop me a message

cheers
paul
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic