Just back from the Arctic

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Just back from the Arctic

Postby travelforadventure » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:54 pm

I was recently on the 10-day Arctic trip and what a fabulous experience! We saw lots of animals, had great weather, and the boat and crew were terrific!! I wanted to share a few tips for anyone going in the future.

Tip 1 - don't worry about shoes! I wore tennis shoes, packed a comfy pair for just hanging on the boat, and took some hiking shoes. Don't bother with the hiking shoes. The boots they give you work great and you need them for every zodiac trip. A couple of times you could change to hiking boots, but very few people bothered. And with the boots - if you think your feet will get cold - when they handed out the boots they also offered some boot liners. They didn't have enough of these for each passenger but I happened to overhear talk of them, and got a pair - my feet never got cold - and I only had on one pair of thin socks most of the time.

Tip 2 - it's easy to wash clothes in the room - so don't overpack (and take only quick-dry items). There isn't much space in the bathroom - but we did the initial dry there to get the worst of the water out of the clothes - and then moved them to the ceiling fan in the room - they dried very quickly when hung there. If you can - take a few of the thin clothes hangers (the type you get at dry cleaners) - those hang very easily. And a few clothes pins for items that can't actually hang. it worked easily.

Tip 3 - TAKE RAIN PANTS!!! Besides your cameras these are the most important thing you will take. I took 2 pair - really only needed one but did use both. You need them EVERY time you go out in the zodiac.

Tip 4 - Don't panic if you don't get a room with a big window. You are never in your room anyway, and the extra light might make it harder to sleep. (Don't forget - it's always light outside!)

Tip 5 - take an extra pair of gloves. If one pair gets wet or lost - you'll want an extra pair. We actually took a warm pair and a wind resistant pair that went over the warm pair one the extra cold days. A few hand warmers came in handy too. We took too many - it really wasn't that cold most of the time- but 2-3 times we used them and they were quite handy then!

Tip 6 - there is a small exercise room on the ship (2 treadmills, 1 bike, 1 elliptical) so if you are into getting exercise you might bring some clothes for that. There isn't a lot of time to use this room, and sometimes you don't want to take the time for fear you'll be there when an announcement is made about a sighting - but it can be good a few times. (The food is GREAT so it can be easy to gain weight - so a little exercise can be helpful!)
travelforadventure
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Just back from the Arctic

Postby chickenpatter1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:26 pm

Thank you that was very useful for me. Leaving on tuesday.
chickenpatter1

Postby collywobbles » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Hi travelforadventure :D

Thanks for the Info. I am heading up that way on Monday myself so now I need to rethink my packing. Its great you enjoyed the trip so much. Did you get to take many photos. Good idea about the boot liners. Thanks. How did you fare out with seasickness were you ok . Were the seas rough? Also was it very cold . will you put up some pictures for us to have a look. I cant wait for this trip. so many thanks again for the tips.

cheers
collywobbles :)
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby chickenpatter1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi collywobbles, I am always travel sick and my chemist recommended Stugeron. Having read reviews on the internet it seems to be one of the best available. Travel sickness is supposed to improve with age so here's hoping.

They do have drowsiness as a side effect so I'm planning to take one before bed time and hope that will sort it out. I'm usually Ok if I stay on deck and I can't imagine I'll be spending much time below!!
chickenpatter1

Postby collywobbles » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:59 pm

Hi chickenpatter1 :D

Yeah my chemist gave those to me as well. Im just going to bring themwith me and am hopeful I wont need them. I usually am a good traveller. Hopefully the seas wont be dog rough :D

cheers
collywobbles
collywobbles

Postby collywobbles » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:02 pm

Chickpatter1

are you on the realm of the polar bear in depth.?
collywobbles

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic