DSLR body and lense advice

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: DSLR body and lense advice

Postby mlhodgson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:25 pm

PaulTeolis wrote:this is a great online resource for comparing camera brands and features.

http://www.dpreview.com

It is a fantastic website as I've been onit heaps reading reviews.

Wonderful photos guys, markmol all I can say about yours I WOW!!! I think overall post trip tamron might suit me better
mlhodgson
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:22 am

ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby terp72 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:11 pm

Paul,

I am off this year to the Arctic. I have a Canon 6D and 60D, full frame and crop sensor bodies. I know that you were disappointed with the orginial 100-400 Canon lens. The new version seems to be getting great reviews. Thoughts as to the desirability of using it in the Arctic. Clearly it is pricy
and somewhat heavy. Is it manageable on the zodiacs. It is too heavy to carry about? If I buy it would it be better on the full frame, the better camera, or the crop to extend its range? I also have the 10-22 lens for the 60D and the 24-105L for either, but better for the 6D.

Thanks for you thoughts.
terp72
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby PaulTeolis » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:34 am

Terp72, what arctic trip are you on?
I will be in the first two trips in this coming season and the last trip taking us greenland
and iceland.

Yes the lens will be manageable in a zodiac, it becomes personal issue more than
anything. Suggest maybe bringing a monopod to help with your shooting and bring some
form of weather cover for it. ZIplock bag or a storm jacket.

well on a cropped camera you will have more distance because you are adding about 1.6x
to the lens. Seen many a pro in antarctica use the sigma 55-500 on their 7D. I personally
find these lens simply are too much glass and no always the best in quality, but that is
a personal choice.

Let me know what you decide. I am going to see if I can get that lens as a loaner.
But I am bring my 300mm

cheers
paul
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures onboard the M/S Expedition
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:45 pm

terp72 wrote:Paul,

I am off this year to the Arctic. I have a Canon 6D and 60D, full frame and crop sensor bodies. I know that you were disappointed with the orginial 100-400 Canon lens. The new version seems to be getting great reviews. Thoughts as to the desirability of using it in the Arctic. Clearly it is pricy
and somewhat heavy. Is it manageable on the zodiacs. It is too heavy to carry about? If I buy it would it be better on the full frame, the better camera, or the crop to extend its range? I also have the 10-22 lens for the 60D and the 24-105L for either, but better for the 6D.

Thanks for you thoughts.

Paul may have been disappointed with the 100-400 but it was a very popular lens on my trip on the Expedition (Nov 2010). It was good enough to use as my primary lens on some excursions (although I generally used the Tamron 18-270 as my all-purpose lens) and I had no issues with it on the Zodiacs. I had the camera slung around my neck and the camera lens and body tucked into my parka so the parka functioned as a pocket holster but I still had easy access to get shots before before we hit land. The nice thing about carrying it this way is you can tighten the parka around your abdomen so you're not bearing all the weight on your neck.

I found no use for my 10-22 but perhaps the Arctic will be different.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby brad.fraser » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi guys,

Phenomenal photos. I wish I'd had the 18-270 for my trip in Africa. I've had my eye on it for the last month or so after seeing a friends photos from a trip of theirs, and then seeing the photos you have taken with it has just sealed the deal I think. Just want to confirm, this is the lens you are talking about?

Thanks very much.
brad.fraser
User Rank: Nomad

Postby markmol » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:40 pm

Hi Brad,

yep this is the lens, i think Tamron has now brought out a 16-300 lens. I have used the 18-270 for the last few years & find it a good choice for travelling
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Postby brad.fraser » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:33 am

Thanks Mark.
I'll have to see how this 16-300 compares with the 18-270. Cheers again.
brad.fraser

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:50 pm

brad.fraser wrote:Hi guys,

Phenomenal photos. I wish I'd had the 18-270 for my trip in Africa. I've had my eye on it for the last month or so after seeing a friends photos from a trip of theirs, and then seeing the photos you have taken with it has just sealed the deal I think. Just want to confirm, this is the lens you are talking about?

Thanks very much.

Yes, that's the lens I use. It's a great all-purpose lens.
ExplorerWannaBe

Previous

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic