DSLR body and lense advice

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

DSLR body and lense advice

Postby mlhodgson » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:06 pm

For a while now I have been thinking about upgrading from a p&s to a DSLR so as I am going to antarctica in November I think this is the perfect time to do so.

There are obviously a lot of different options out there and at the moment I have been looking at Nikon & Canon. In terms of Nikon, the ones I have looked at are the D3300 & D5200. Just wondering what people know/thought about these 2 models and what they would recommend in Canon for the equivalent?

In terms of lenses, what are people's thoughts RE: getting 2 lenses(18-55mm & 55-300) vs getting 1 lense that covers say 18-270mm?

The majority of photos I like to take are are of wildlife and scenery.
mlhodgson
User Rank: Traveller

Re: DSLR body and lense advice

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 pm

When I went, the single most popular lens on the cruise appeared to be Canon's 100-400 mm L-series zoom. I think there were a couple dozen of these lenses on the cruise.

I had a 10-22mm, 18-270mm, and 100-400mm. I never used the 10-22mm and seriously considered using the 100-400 mm as my primary lens in place of the 18-270. A lot of people when this route but I liked being able to zoom out to 18 or 35 mm for landscape shots. Lots of light so no worries about being at f/4.0 or f/5.6 or even f/8.0 as a minimum for the lens.

I would highly advise AGAINST a lens split like 18-55 and 55-300 as my previous experience showed me 55 mm was a critical point that had me changing lenses frequently and rapidly. You will be far better off with the 18-270. You can get a supplemental distance lens if you need and can afford it.

I was very happy with my T2i on the trip -- you can probably get a used one cheap from someone who has to have the latest gear and spend more of your money on quality lenses.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby markmol » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:16 am

hi
I agree with EWB, don't go for the twin lenses, I have a canon 60d, I used a 18-270mm lens & it was a good choice. I also took a 10-22mm lens but I had a second camera, my old canon 450d with me & used this lens for landscapes shots. G normally have a resident photographer on board to give you a few tips. The other tip would be to buy a spare battery to take with you.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby mlhodgson » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks guys, just trying to sort out which body I looking at now
mlhodgson

Postby PaulTeolis » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:22 pm

hi all,
G Adventures resident expedition photographer here…

mlhodgson, I will be on your trip in November, so introduce yourself when on board.
Deciding what to bring without blowing your budget can always be difficult.

If you are moving to a DSLR, its matter of what brand and what you want to do with
it. Most brands, canon, nikon etc are all fantastic. Canon has a much better video feature
if you wish to shoot videos, they certainly lead the pack on this.

as for a lens, well thats a touch choice. Versatility is the key. An all in one lens is a good
idea, but they can be large and slow to cover all that range sometimes. The good ones are
expensive.

I have found the 70-200 is a great versatile range for shooting wildlife. I also carry a
straight 300mm which last year was my lens of choice in a lot of areas. I shot with the 100 to 400 canon lens last year and found it very soft in the upper range. Canon needs to upgrade this lens
badly...

You will definitely be shooting landscapes, especially on zodiac cruises and on most
lands as well. So it doesn't hurt to bring something wide. A 24 or 28mm, don't count out
a short range lens.

And bring your point and shoot. You will definitely use it.
feel free to contact me for any info you might need…

cheers
paul
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis

Postby celestial-navigation » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:33 am

I think at entry level the bodies are all pretty similar, it just comes down to what feels better in your hands. As for a lens, I shoot Canon and most of my shots were taken with the 18-200mm or 100-400. I found that the very wide angle for landscapes didn't get used much at all.

For me the most important thing would be to get the camera as soon as possible and start practising right away. Moving from a compact to an SLR is quite a big step, and you want to be as comfortable as possible with it before you get on-board and miss shots because you don't understand the buttons or settings.
celestial-navigation

Postby brad.fraser » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:19 pm

It's great to hear from so many people who have done the tour already, and the resident photographer, so thanks to all who have posted their experiences.
I'm seriously looking at doing this sometime next year. My lenses I'm comfortable with - I have an 18-200, 10-22, and might look into this flat 300 that Paul said was his go-to lens. The lenses will be fine. I think I might look into upgrading the body though. I have a 600D, definitely want something with a little extra kick to it.

Thanks again guys :)
You're off to great places,
Today is your day.
Your mountain is waiting,
So get on your way!!
brad.fraser

Postby mlhodgson » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:09 pm

All wonderful advice guys, thanks :) I have used a dslr before but not enough to be confident. Just wondering if anyone has had experience with either the canon 700d or 600d and also the nikon d3300 or d5200 and what their thoughts were for a beginner?? And if there was any real major difference in choosing one over ther other.
mlhodgson

Postby PaulTeolis » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:50 pm

this is a great online resource for comparing camera brands and features.

http://www.dpreview.com
Animation Professional &
PaulTeolis

Postby mlhodgson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:01 am

Thanks for advice everyone, it's all been helpful. I am now starting to learn towards getting the canon 700d and possibly either the tamron 16-300 lens or the tamron 18-270. I was also wondering regarding both polarizing and uv filters, are they necessary? And if anyone had experience with either of the lenses or the canon body too .

Thanks again
mlhodgson

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:47 pm

mlhodgson wrote:Thanks for advice everyone, it's all been helpful. I am now starting to learn towards getting the canon 700d and possibly either the tamron 16-300 lens or the tamron 18-270. I was also wondering regarding both polarizing and uv filters, are they necessary? And if anyone had experience with either of the lenses or the canon body too .

Thanks again

I enjoy my Tamron 18-270. I have my Canon 100-400 if I want to go further but the real question for you between the two should revolve around the differences between price and picture quality.

You definitely want the UV filter to protect your lens -- I had one incident where my filter was destroyed but the lens was okay because the filter took the damage. The UV filter should stay on your lens at all times.

I took a polarizing filter with me to Antarctica but didn't use it much. YMMV.
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby mlhodgson » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 am

Thanks explorer,

I've read heaps of reviews on the lenses but one things confuses me, some say that if I go either tamrons (18-270 or 16-300) that I'll be sacrificing on image quality. From someone who has used the lense in the conditions I will be in during November, I was wondering what your thoughts were? I like in general to photograph animals and scenery while travelling.

Thanks again
mlhodgson

Postby PaulTeolis » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:01 am

well lenses are all about the glass and there is a difference between these long length consumer oriented lenses, an all in one lens so to speak, verses the faster lenses (L series) geared for professionals. It's a cost thing.

So there is always a sacrifice being made in some way, whether you notice the difference is
another issue altogether, as most people do not.

Ask yourself what your budget is and what do you want to achieve.
WIll a 75-300 lens, which canon makes be enough for you? And in Antarctica this will
be in my opinion.
Animation Professional &
PaulTeolis

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:27 am

mlhodgson wrote:Thanks explorer,

I've read heaps of reviews on the lenses but one things confuses me, some say that if I go either tamrons (18-270 or 16-300) that I'll be sacrificing on image quality. From someone who has used the lense in the conditions I will be in during November, I was wondering what your thoughts were? I like in general to photograph animals and scenery while travelling.

Thanks again

I like to photograph animals and scenery myself. You can judge image quality in Antarctica for yourself with my photos at Image. Some of the pictures were taken with the Tamron 18-270, some with the Canon 100-400, and they unfortunately aren't labeled but you can look at the EXIF information on each photo.

I believe I took these with the 18-270 ...
http://gadget-travels.net/photos/displayimage.php?album=9&pos=89

http://gadget-travels.net/photos/displayimage.php?album=7&pos=26

http://gadget-travels.net/photos/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=145

As PaulTeolis says, it's all about the glass and the Canon 75-300 may be enough lens for your purposes. On the other hand, I liked the overall versatility of the Tamron 18-270 and don't think I gave up a lot of image quality (you kind of have to visit the full photo album and see the pictures in intermediate or full size to get the full impact).
ExplorerWannaBe

Postby markmol » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:43 pm

hi i agree with EWB, i have used the tamron 18-270 in both Antartica & africa & have taken some great shots , if money is not an issue then go for the Canon L series lenes, below is a photo i took with the tamron lens

ANT 031.JPG
ANT 031.JPG (47.05 KiB) Viewed 192 times
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
markmol

Next

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic