What are the big differences between the different tours?

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

What are the big differences between the different tours?

Postby seanworldtraveller » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi all,

I'm looking into going on a tour to Antarctica (so excited!).

Unfortunately some of the trips are fully booked or the prices are significantly more expensive (due to cabin type availability).

I see a lot of you talking about the "Quest for the Antarctic Circle" trip as being a really good one.

Is there any difference between that trip and the "JOURNEY TO THE ANTARCTIC PENINSULA" trip?

I'm really interested in:
1) Kayaking
2) Setting foot on Antarctica and Camping
3) Getting up and close with the wild life

I'm looking for the best experience possible!

Thanks!
seanworldtraveller
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: What are the big differences between the different tours

Postby justdoug! » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:21 am

Hello Seanworldtraveller,

Yes, the "Quest for the Antarctic Circle" has a very specific destination; the Antarctic Circle, which is a full day's sail south of the area covered in a shorter cruise.

A few reasons why a "circle" trip might be appealing to you:
- you will spend more days on the trip than a standard trip
- you will get to see a less visited portion of the Peninsula, and probably more ice
- you will get the bragging rights to having crossed the Antarctic Circle
- you will travel in a truly remote part of the Peninsula
- you have a better chance at seeing Adelie Penguins

Some reasons why it might not appeal:
- A circle trip might not have quite as many opportunities to kayak as the other trip.
- you spend a few more days on the ship as it travels to/from the circle.
- the challenges of weather and ice increase as the ship travels further south.

Camping: we make every attempt to camp every trip that we offer camping. Cancellations are very rare, regardless of which trip you book.
Kayaking: kayakers usually get about 4-6 kayak excursions per trip (sometimes more, sometimes less). A 'circle' trip might not get as many chances as the other trip, but then again you might have the chance to kayak below the Antarctic Circle, which only a few 100 people in the world have ever done!!
Stepping foot: I assume you mean walking on the continent. Every bit of land on the Peninsula is indeed part of the Antarctic continent, including all the islands. see this post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20220#p107641

Cheers!
Doug
justdoug!

Re: What are the big differences between the different tours

Postby travelbug88 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:39 am

Has anyone here been on the trip 'Journey to the Antarctic Peninsula' which visits the Weddell Sea area? It's quite a bit more expensive than either the 'Classic' or 'in Depth' trips but I've read it's the only place you can see the Emperor Penguin colonies!!

I'm looking at going to Antarctica December 2015 so it's a choice between 'Antarctic Classic in Depth' leaving 8th December, or 'Journey to the Antarctic Peninsula' leaving 19th December, it's 2 days longer but it's 1700 euros more!!

Has anyone been lucky enough to see Emperor Penguins on any of the 'Classic' trips?? HELP!!
travelbug88

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic