Did someone shoot a musk oxen last September???

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Did someone shoot a musk oxen last September???

Postby origcavy » Mon May 19, 2014 11:01 pm

Someone on TripAdvisor is stating that the tour leaders went out during a tour last September and shot a musk oxen, brought bloody bits into the mud room, and served it for dinner. Is this true and if it is would someone please explain why? If someone would also join the discussion on TA it would be appreciated as most of your previous guests think this lady is completely full of it.

Thanks!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i12337-k3784364-o280-MS_EXPEDITION_Antarctica_cruise-Antarctic_Adventures.html
Posts #285, 292, 295
origcavy
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Did someone shoot a musk oxen last September???

Postby lesliew » Tue May 20, 2014 7:05 am

I think this lady is full of it too. The entire MS Expedition crew that I was with last summer were huge animal advocates and only in favor of shooting an animal if it threatened the lives of people.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad

Postby Customer_Service » Tue May 20, 2014 2:47 pm

20 May 2014

Hi all,

Thanks for drawing our attention to this. It strikes me as odd, too. I have asked our Marine team for further details. Once received I will post a further reply.
Customer_Service

Postby Customer_Service » Tue May 20, 2014 4:26 pm

20 May 2014

Hi again,

After checking with our team on board, I can confirm that no G Adventures staff had anything to do with killing any Musk Oxen.

However, we did procure a small amount of Musk Oxen meat from a vetted local provider. This meat was then served as an option for meals on board for those interested in trying it. We do purchase food items locally when possible - be this with fish in Africa, reindeer in the Falkland Islands, or Musk Oxen in the Arctic.

I hope this clears up any possible confusion here.
Customer_Service

Postby origcavy » Tue May 20, 2014 10:21 pm

Thank you for getting the info and explaining! :)
origcavy

Postby lesliew » Wed May 21, 2014 6:34 am

Thank you for clearing things up Customer Service. From my experiences G has been a terrific company. It's sad that someone would spread rumors and try to tarnish a company's good name just because they were disgruntled about something.

lesliew

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic