Currency - Quest for the Antarctic Circle

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Currency - Quest for the Antarctic Circle

Postby tbj_tbs » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:44 pm

Hi All,

I am Canadian and I am planning on bringing USD, Argentinian Pesos and a credit card with me.

What I am curious about is what the stop on Antarctica (where you can send a post card with an Antarctic post mark) what type of currency they will accept?
I am trying to figure out how much I should bring of each currency.

Thanks,
Ashley
tbj_tbs
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Currency - Quest for the Antarctic Circle

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:08 pm

tbj_tbs,

We stopped at Port Lockroy which is run by the British Antarctic Survey. As you can imagine, they charge in pounds sterling but they will take credit cards, USD, and Euros. I'm not sure if they take CAD.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby celestial-navigation » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:41 pm

We stopped at Arctowski base (Polish) and they take any postcards over to one of the Chilean bases and post them for $2USD each, so US Dollars should probably be your best bet.

It's also worth keeping in mind that, particularly if you're going to be in Buenos Aires, you'll get a hugely better exchange rate if you either spend in USD or you exchange your dollars for any Pesos you may need there, rather than getting lots in Canada or putting things on cards. Really, you just need enough to get you from the airport to your accommodation and then it should be pretty easy to exchange any more.
celestial-navigation
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby justdoug! » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:18 am

Hello, I work on the MS Expedition, and your best plan for purchases in Antarctica is US Dollars in cash. Everywhere we go down there, US Dollars are accepted. Only Port Lockroy will accept any kind of credit card. Bring US cash and you'll have no trouble.
Doug
justdoug!

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic