random question regarding realm of polar bear

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

random question regarding realm of polar bear

Postby collywobbles » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:32 pm

hi all

I have booked my dream trip to the Artic. Realm of the polar bear in depth. All excited. Just random questions to any one who has done this trip. The starting hotel Radisson Blu any good. bad experiences. Anyone arrive day before tour in the early hours like 23.50pm which my flight is the day before and if so did the hotel accomadate you or did you have to book 2 nights instead of 1 night. I know this is odd questions to be asking but I would like some idea. Or did people book extra nights in another hotel other than the starting one. Any one got any idea what weather would be like in August. Which currency is best to use. Do you think they would accept euros on board the ship. Sorry for all the questions .

Many thanks in advance
Cheers
:D
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: random question regarding realm of polar bear

Postby celestial-navigation » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:15 am

The location of the Radisson is perfect and while I didn't stay there, I didn't hear any complaints about rooms. I stayed in the Spitsbergen Hotel, right at the other end of town and about a 20min walk away. The whole place is very compact so you can't really go wrong wherever you stay!

Even if you arrive at midnight, you still have to book another night (as check in is usually around 2pm).

From what I can gather, weather in August is pretty unpredictable, I'd say hope for sun but prepare for cold with occasional snow or drizzle!

For currency, Longyearbyen is Norwegian so you'll need Krone for any shopping there, and the ship runs on USD - although I never needed any cash on board, I just put everything on a card.
celestial-navigation
User Rank: Traveller

Postby lesliew » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:34 am

I stayed at the Radisson Blu and it was very nice. The room was nice, and the people at the front desk were very nice. I ate dinner in their pub, which was good. I was there in July and it was around 2-6 degrees Celsius everyday. We had some light rain on a couple of days. I recommend dressing in layers because depending on the activities of the day (walking on land, sailing through ice, etc) you can go very quickly from warm to freezing! Also, I don't think the ship will accept any money throughout the trip; they put everything on your bill, which you pay on the last day. Then I just paid my bill with a credit card.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad

Postby collywobbles » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Hi guys

Many thanks for your replies. Yeah I figure I needed to book 2 nights instead of 1 but some prices for hotels are crazy. but then Norway is a very expensive country :) But I am sorted for accomadation. And yes I figure USD is main currency used but I just thought they might take euros . Credit card will be a good option. Lesliew did you enjoy your stay on board ship the whole expedition experience? Did you take many photos. Have good opportunities for photos? Any advise you might have would be great.

many thanks :D
collywobbles

Postby lesliew » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:20 am

The whole trip was amazing! I loved every minute of it. The crew is really great and it's a very educational experience as well. I took lots of pictures and there were so many opportunities for great photos. We were lucky and were able to get pretty close to lots of wildlife (we were able to walk within about 10 feet of a group of walruses and also got pretty close to an arctic fox and reindeer). We watched a polar bear pretty closely from the ship for 5 hours as well. The scenery is also beautiful. My only advice is to just enjoy it and go with the flow and don't go into it with any specific expectations...because conditions can change rapidly, they set a schedule each day but it can be changed at the last minute. Every day truly is an adventure and you don't know what to expect!

lesliew

Postby collywobbles » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:16 pm

Hiya :D

Many thanks again for your answers. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip can't wait. Another question for anyone else did anyone do the dog sledding? just curious if anyone did it. How was it. Was it worth the money to do it..the good the bad?

collywobbles

Postby celestial-navigation » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:43 pm

Collywobbles - I looked at sledding, but in the summer there's no snow around Longyearbyen so 90% of the time you're on sort of carts with wheels rather than true sleds, and that didn't appeal to me so much, but you may feel totally differently!
celestial-navigation

Postby collywobbles » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:52 pm

Hi celestial navigation :D

Thanks for that. Yeah I would love for it to be snow to do the sledding but not in August lol Have to wait for another time. and those buggers in g dropped the price of my trip a few days after I booked it. : :x
collywobbles

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic