realm of the polar bear

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

realm of the polar bear

Postby collywobbles » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Hi all :)

I am hoping to do this trip next year. I note that the trip is only running once in June July and August . Anyone who has done this trip when is a good time to go? . A better chance to see polar bears as that is one of my main reasons for doing the trip.

Many thanks :)
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Re: realm of the polar bear

Postby lesliew » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:08 pm

I did this trip and it's AMAZING. I went in July. No matter when you go, it's just random luck as to how many polar bears you see. Trust me, the crew does everything possible to make sure you get a good bear experience (they are on watch 24/7). We only saw 1 bear up close, but we were able to follow him and observe him for 5 hours! To me, that was worth it - quality mattered more than quantity. We got to watch him hunting, going after seals, swimming, etc. The crew told us that the cruise that went in June had much more fog (this is bad because you can't do shore landings, or see bears very well, if there is heavy fog). However, the cruise before ours in June also saw a couple of more bears. So again, it's really all just chance. But the trip is WELL worth it - we saw walruses, seals, Arctic foxes, and reindeer, plus amazing scenery.

lesliew
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: realm of the polar bear

Postby alexcowan » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:53 pm

Hard to say when is a good time to go; number and quality of bear experiences vary randomly. Bears are highly mobile and mercurial creatures so while we have talented spotters on board you never know where or when we'll see them. Early season is more ice, so you'll see more ice but be able to access fewer places. This is assuming a 'normal' ice year, which doesn't always happen.

For better chances of seeing bears do a longer trip, and avoid the Norwegian Fjords and Greenland trips. These are amazing trips in their own right (Greenland is one of my favourite trips), just don't go on them with expectations of seeing Polar bears; you might get lucky, but you're relying on luck way too much!
alexcowan
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic