Sizing of G Adventures' Expedition Parkas

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Sizing of G Adventures' Expedition Parkas

Postby actgrc » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:53 pm

My husband and I are going on the Quest for the Antarctic Circle in December and are having trouble determining our parka sizes. The arm lengths on G Adventures' online sizing chart seem extremely long. The sizing chart diagram depicts measuring the length from near the shoulder, but my measurements don't come close to the listed lengths; even the smallest sizes are 33" - 34" long, which are much longer than my actual measurements. Are we misreading how to measure? Can anyone who received a parka last year tell me how the parka sizes compare to those of a North Face or Spyder ski jacket (for both men and women). Thanks.
actgrc
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Sizing of G Adventures' Expedition Parkas

Postby alexcowan » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:11 pm

By all accounts the parkas this year are new, so comparing to last year probably won't help.

I would choose your normal jacket size. What has always happened in the past is there has been a big official jacket swapping session at the start of the trip for those who chose the wrong size in advance of the trip.
alexcowan
User Rank: Traveller

Postby panji » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:56 pm

Hello,
I'm asking myself the same question as actgrc. Does anyone have a feedback from recent travels there ?
Valerie
panji

Postby celestial-navigation » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:39 am

You'll probably want to go up a size, not down. I'm normally a medium, by measurements I should have been a small parka, but I needed a large for something that would comfortably fit over a couple of layers. In the end, the size I'd selected was irrelevant as we all just went to the lounge, were given sample sizes to try on and then picked the one that fitted best rather than having to stick with what was pre-selected.

The parkas are fantastic though, perfectly waterproof (even with waves coming over our heads on zodiac rides - http://instagram.com/p/hRnquJAuxU/) and thoroughly windproof. Tons of pockets for everything you want to carry and warm enough that I only really needed a long sleeve tee on underneath. They are very heavy, so keep that in mind if you're planning on bringing it back home with you.
celestial-navigation

Postby panji » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:21 am

Thanks for the info celestial-navigation. It is good to know you can swap anyway.
I usually wear M so I think I'll indicate that (or L as you suggested for multiple layers). I was only afraid of the lenghts of the sleeves ...
panji

Postby actgrc » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:03 pm

My husband and I were on the December "Quest for the Antarctic Circle" trip. When we boarded the buses to go to the ship, G Adventures announced that there were problems with the sizing and that the jackets would not be in our cabins. Instead, after we were on board and attended the mandatory briefings (safety, staff, plans, etc.), we were directed to a lounge which contained "stations" for each size of men's and women's jackets. (There seemed to be plenty of jackets in each size.) We were able to try on the size samples before selecting a jacket. Some expedition staff even suggested that we take them to our cabin and try them on over the layers that we most likely would be wearing on our excursions. In the end, some people wore larger sizes, some smaller sizes than they originally selected. Personally, I ended up in a men's jacket simply because it fit better across my shoulders. (I'm tall, thin, long-armed, and broad-shouldered and normally wear a women's medium.) As for the sleeves, they all seemed to be slightly long, but the velcro adjustment on the cuff tightened the sleeves sufficiently that it wasn't a problem. Main requirement was that you decide that night; you couldn't wear a jacket for several days, decide you didn't like the fit, and then try to trade for another size.

I agree with celestial-navigation that the jackets are great! They really aren't any heavier than a lot of good ski jackets, but if you aren't used to those types of jackets, they may seem heavy. We had wonderful weather, and I wore just the jacket lining over a long-sleeve shirt to the dinner buffet on the the back deck. It provided a breaker against the mild wind and was plenty warm.

To make it easier to bring the jackets home, we left the northern USA wearing only a fleece jacket and took a summer rain/windbreaker with us for our time in Argentina. We left our heavy snow jackets at home. Our fleece could fit under the G Adventures parkas so we had another layer if we needed it, which we didn't! It was cold, windy, and raining in Ushuaia when we disembarked so the parkas were perfect - blocked the wind and rain and were great when we returned to much colder weather in the USA.

If you live in a warm climate and don't want to take the parka home, G Adventures has a large donation box that is set out at the end of the trip. Passengers can donate any cold weather gear they don't want anymore. Items will be available for future passengers (and staff) who don't have sufficient or warm enough clothing, luggage doesn't make it from the airlines, etc. What a great idea!! The box was really full by the time we disembarked.

One last thing about the jacket pockets. There was a vertical zip pocket at chest level on each side of the jacket. If you carry a smaller camera, such as a point and shoot, it easily fits in the pocket and can be kept very dry. My only recommendation is that you attach a thin strap to the camera so that you can hang it around your neck before placing it in the pocket. With the upward vertical zipper, you can still protect the camera and you can be certain it doesn't fall out of a pocket or your hand and end up in the water. Even with a life jacket on, it is easy to get to the pocket and manage your camera. Believe me, I was really glad I did this. I had my camera with me all the time (while my husband had to keep his Canon Rebel T2i in a dry bag most of the time we were in the zodiacs), took great pictures, kept it dry, and never worried about losing it!
actgrc

Postby panji » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:36 pm

Hello, thanks again for taking time for your detailed comments.
It is a pleasant idea to be able to leave for Svalbard without having to take a ski jacket with me (late August it can still be very warm in Paris).
This parka seems great indeed (thanks for the advice for the camera) so I will keep it I guess. I like going to northern places on holiday so it is always handy to have a good parka.
Valerie
panji

Postby marall » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:28 pm

Where on the web site are the measurements for the parkas? I keep missing them.
marall

Postby collywobbles » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:02 am

Hi all

I am just back from realm of the polar bear trip. I got one of the parkas on the trip. I took a medium size . I would normally be a size 12 in my clothes. Don't worry too much about it. There will be trying on a jacket for size in the lounge when the Lifeboat drill is done. You will be able to try on all the sizes before you make a decision. They are fab jackets very warm lots of pockets quiet heavy. so don't bring another jacket. You will struggle to pack it away in your suitcase if you bring another heavy jacket. They come in their own little bag which you can roll it up when trip is over. Hope this helps. :D

cheers
collywobbles
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic