Antarctica Kayaking question

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Antarctica Kayaking question

Postby cap33 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Anyone do the kayaking in Antarctica? Can you tell me how much experience you need to be able to do it and how many hours are you out on the kayaks at a time? Thanks!
cap33
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Antarctica Kayaking question

Postby alexcowan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:18 pm

The info does seem to be a bit lacking online as we get a lot of people unsure what they've signed up for arriving on the ship. So I'm glad you asked and I hope my response helps.

Basically you should be a strong and confident kayaker. Most of the time you'll be out in calm conditions, but you can be out in wind and chop and ice. You don't need to be an expert sea kayaker by any means but you should know how to use a sea kayak and be confident that you can get around safely and at a reasonable pace. You don't need to be able to do an Eskimo roll but you should know how to exit an inverted boat.

If you're in any doubt at all then go and get a lesson in sea kayaking in advance to top up your skills and confidence. Tell the instructor what you're doing and hopefully they can give you a boost.

The amount of time out varies between 1.5 and 3 hours. This may include shore landings. Occasionally there may be long and relatively strenuous paddles but this depends on the strength of the group and you certainly won't be doing hours of uninterrupted paddling with no rest!

I hope that helps and that I've communicated that you don't need to be a super paddling God at all, but also that this program is intended for sea kayakers and not for people who fancy 'trying kayaking'.

Most people love the kayaking and it's their favourite part of the trip. And the option for site landings, Zodiac cruises etc instead is always available to you. It's not uncommon after a long morning paddle for half of the kayakers to go ashore instead of paddling again in the afternoon!
alexcowan
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic