Antarctica trips

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Antarctica trips

Postby svncontinentsin18yrs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:02 am

Hey everybody,
My dad and I were considering doing an Antarctica tour soonish (not sure which one or an exact date) and I was wondering if someone could give me a, detailed as possible, overview of the trips. Things like:
Do we have to worry about getting sick - sea sickness?
What do we need to pack? Do they provide anything?
Is it worth doing the canoeing or camping on the ice?
What are the sorts of things you would de while on the boat?
Do they provide day trips or activities when you get to Antarctica?

Anything else you think may be relevant to my questions??
Thanks this will be much appreciated :D
svncontinentsin18yrs
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Antarctica trips

Postby anonymous928 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:22 am

Do we have to worry about getting sick - sea sickness?

Yes. The Drake Passage can be notoriously rough on crossing. I consulted with a doctor prior to travel as I did not know if I am prone to sea sickness or not and I received the patch which I wore for the crossings. I did not get sick. We were warned upon boarding that we would be sailing through a storm and people still did not take it seriously. Only about 2 dozen of us made it out of our cabins for breakfast the next day. The people that took medication as advised - before you start to feel sick - were perfectly fine. Others were not so lucky.

What do we need to pack? Do they provide anything?

I would check out the Antarctic Adventures forum on Trip Advisor. There is a wealth of information on what kind of things to pack. G Adventures provides boots for landings. It is my understanding that they are beginning to offer jackets as well, but I would confirm when you scope out your specific trip.

Is it worth doing the canoeing or camping on the ice?

I camped and it was the highlight of the trip. We actually got to camp on Antarctica proper (the continent, not one of the islands) and it was incredible. Late night hikes, calving glaciers, curious penguins. I highly recommend it. I did not do kayaking because it does cut into your time on land and I was more interested in that.

What are the sorts of things you would de while on the boat?

The experts offer a variety of lectures and presentations about Antarctica. Nightly activities including movies, games, etc. The balance of the day when you are not on land I spent looking out the windows or on deck observing the birds/wildlife and taking pictures. Napping was also a popular activity between boat movement and the side effects of the sea sickness medication haha

Do they provide day trips or activities when you get to Antarctica?

Once you arrive at Antarctica, the plan is to attempt 2 landings or zodiac cruises a day. Everything is contingent upon weather so one must be extremely flexible and understand that the itinerary changes moment by moment depending on ice conditions, waves, precipitation etc. The intineraries provided on the website are guides only and not a guarantee. Know that going in and you won't be disappointed.

This was one of the best vacations I have ever taken. I highly recommend it!
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller

Postby svncontinentsin18yrs » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:34 am

Thank you so much. I will definitely be going early next year and I'm super excited about it. I'll just make sure to find those patches you talked about ;)
Thanks again.
svncontinentsin18yrs

Postby nburgess31 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:30 am

For more information I kept a detailed daily blog on the Antarctica in Depth tour:
http://nathanburgessinsights.com/tag/antarctica/

Some passengers did get sick but there is an Onboard doctor for the worst cases. I did the overnight camping strongly recommend this. Roommate did kayaking a looking at the footage and listening to stories it sound awesome. You need to be fit for kayaking and it does cut down on the landing opportunities but worth considering.

Enjoy its a fantastic visit.
nburgess31

Postby nburgess31 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:43 am

I actually did this as Patagonia and Antarctica in Depth. Journal for Patagonia leg:
http://nathanburgessinsights.com/2013/0 ... ighlights/

Just note that you need to have reasonable fitness for Patagonia leg.
nburgess31

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic