Vaccinations for Antarctica

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Vaccinations for Antarctica

Postby tbj_tbs » Sun May 19, 2013 10:57 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am just doing a bit of research in preparation for my trip, and was wondering about vaccinations. I've checked out the Government of Canada's website, and for Antarctica there are no required vaccinations. However, since the trip starts in Argentina I am wondering what vaccinations I should be considering for there.

I've read a few conflicting articles regarding Yellow Fever, Cholera and Malaria. Apparently you must have a Cholera vaccination record to enter Argentina, but the other two are just recommended.

Can anyone tell me from their personal experience travelling to Antarctica what they did? I do not intend to use this as "medical" advice as I will be consulting my doctor plus a travel clinic if needed. But I am just wondering what most previous travelers have done.

Thanks!
tbj_tbs
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Vaccinations for Antarctica

Postby PaulTeolis » Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 am

for antarctica....no shots needed. just important to bring some form of medication in the event you might be affected by seasickness. They provide medicine on board ship as well, gravol, etc, anything more severe that you run into, they charge you.

as for argentina, if you are just passing through you will have no problems without shots. I have travelled all over the region and not needed any shots. Always important to be prepared though for other ailments like travellers diarrhoea and such.

cheers paul
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby anonymous928 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:18 am

I did not need to show proof of any vaccinations to enter Argentina. I have most shots because of requirements to other countries so the only "new" medications I received from the travel doctor were two types of seasickness medicines and an antibiotic if I were to get sick from food, etc. I also was given a flu shot. The two types of seasickness medicines were the patch and pills. You cannot take both at the same time, but my doctor had me wear the patch at home to try it out as apparently some people experience side effects that are worse than seasickness. The pills would have been if I had a reaction, but I did not and the patch worked wonderfully for me on the trip. I never got seasick at all.

The ship is very clean and they have you use hand sanitizer before entering the dining room so as to prevent the spread of germs amongst passengers as well.
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Wed May 29, 2013 7:25 pm

Before leaving I spoke to my doctor and he said since I was not going to be up in the mountains I needn't worry about getting the yellow fever vaccine. As for Antarctica nothing is required and I did not need to show proof of any vaccines while entering Argentina either. Before leaving I did have the flu shot but that was mostly because I had to go on Tamiflu before my trip due to an outbreak of influeza at the hospital I work at :P Thank gosh I never got the flu despite all the exposure I had before leaving.
jen_the_rockhopper
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic