If you've been on Quest for the Antarctic circle....

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

If you've been on Quest for the Antarctic circle....

Postby gcc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:44 pm

Then my question is did you make landfall after you crossed the circle? Was there ample time on the Antarctic continent at other times? Was the drake passage horrible? What tips would you give for someone who has never been on this trip? Was the trip worth the cost (ie did you see a lot of wildlife, views, etc)? I am interested in going on the Feb 25-march 10 trip. What was the experience like at that time? Thanks.
gcc
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: If you've been on Quest for the Antarctic circle....

Postby anonymous928 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:12 am

There is a recent review for this trip over on Trip Advisor:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1 ... tures.html

Doesn't hit on all your questions, but it is a start!
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller

Postby PaulTeolis » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:00 pm

hi gcc,
to answer some of your questions.

I worked on the M/S expedition last season as photographer and had an incredible experience
returning again to antarctica.

the drake can be many things, and I saw over three trips, absolutely calm waters on the crossing and some really incredible rough seas. You cannot know what you are going to get until you are on the ocean, so it's best to prepare for rough seas and hope for calm.

the wildlife is everywhere, you are guaranteed to see countless numbers of penguins, seals are generally always around and we had whales on every crossing I was on, real incredible views of humbacks and orcas.

It's safe to say depending on where the continent landing is, you will be on land for a couple of hours.

Antarctica remains one of the most incredible places I have ever been on this planet and I have been to dozens of countries. It will tai your breath away whether you have beautiful sunny days with blue skies, or overcast grey ones. It has to be experienced. Words cannot do justice.

just go...

cheers
paul
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby alexcowan » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:10 am

Accessing landing sites in Antarctica is hard work, and doubly so south of the circle it seems! Weather permitting, you'll get ashore and out in the Zodiacs lots and lots, but places like Crystal Sound (S of the circle) are very exposed and getting ashore there can be very tough. It's worth taking the time to try though, because it feels very remote down there and the scenery is beautiful.

So yes, expect to spend a good amount of time ashore and out in the Zodiacs (a lot of people come to prefer this to going ashore!) but remember the weather has the last say and on some trips battling to get the ship south of the circle is an exciting adventure.
alexcowan

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic