Antarctica - best camera for a photography amateur?

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Antarctica - best camera for a photography amateur?

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Wed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm

I took a Nikon D300S and two lenses and also a GoPro video camera and got some great shots. I had loads of memory cards LOL but wish I had had some way to download my pics while I was still aboard to better preview them (although as the heat and humidity returns here to Ontario I am enjoying the snow and penguins) I had a tripod but only used it a couple times so was it worth it to carry? I dunno
jen_the_rockhopper
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby rosi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:24 pm

Can't wait either, Amy, we are on the same trip. Will leave the photography to my husband though! 8)
rosi
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby dmitri1999 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:04 pm

As a photographer, I am going to urge people who are considering buying DSLRs and lenses just for this trip not to do it.
Point and shoot( or semi point and shoot with manual options) cameras are really advanced these days and are designed for people who want to take pictures and do not want to fiddle with the settings or photoshop. Unless you've had a DSLR for a while and know how to use manual settings, there's no point of having it.

You will get a much better results with one of those and built-in lenses than buying a DSLR, putting it on auto. This trip is not to play with the settings,but to enjoy the scenery and take occasional pictures.
Get a good point and shoot camera with a good zoom ($500-600) and it will serve you really well on this trip.

Those who still convinced they need to have a DSLR, at least learn how to use manual modes. Due to the snow, your images will be underexposed and you need to learn how to compensate for that.
dmitri1999

Postby PaulTeolis » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:43 pm

for those of the trips to Antarctica, there is a photographer is residence on board and i
will be joining the crew from December 20th through the end of Janaury.

So those worried about not understanding how to shoot in snow, or certain functions
on their camera, I will be available throughout the trips to help solve any issues. My lectures on board the ship are fun and a simple approach to photography.

Anyone who wants learn more complex technics, I will in ships library at night to do one on one or small group discussions.

looking forward to meeting everyone.

paul
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Previous

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic