Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctic Islands (XVGFSX)

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctic Islands (XVGFSX)

Postby helix » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:29 pm

G adventure has a new Antarctica cruise, "Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctic Islands". Differences between this and Spirit of Shackleton are:

* 22 days (F,SG&AI) vs. 21 days (SoS)
* Buenos Aires to Ushuaia (F,SG&AI) vs. Ushuaia to Ushuaia
* 4 days in Antarctica (F,SG&AI) vs. 5 days in antarctica (SoS)
* 9 days at sea (F,SG&AI) vs. 8 days at sea (SoS)
* October-November (F,SG&AI) vs. January-February(?) (Sos)
* PRICE!!!! from 7000€ (F,SG&AI) vs. from 10 000€ (SoS)

What do you think?

Are Falkland islands, South Georgia and Antarctica ok in October-November or is January MUCH better? (i assume it's a bit better, warmer at least, but is there any MAJOR differences?)

Why is this new cruise so much cheaper?!
helix
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Falklands, South Georgia and Antarctic Islands (XVGFSX)

Postby anonymous928 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:05 am

It probably has to do with how early in the season the new trip is. Mid-October is REALLY early to be leaving for Antarctica, whereas January/February is high season. I did the Antarctica Classic in Depth first sail of this season (November 8th) and it was wonderful. The ice was pristine, not a lot of other ships around, totally worth the cost savings to go early for me. You just have to manage your expectations about what you will see, ie no baby penguins, and decide if its worth it or not to you personally.
anonymous928

Postby wattsed » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:30 am

I have been to the Falkland Islands and South Georgia at different times than my trip to Antarctica and each is somewhat different...The Falkland Islands because they are inhabited by people and the history is very interesting...sure you will not see any baby penguins; therefore, you will have to decide if that is an overwhelming desire as opposed to seeing a wider array of sights/history on the combination tour..Money, of course, is another factor when only one more day in Antarctica itself is involved...Those are questions you will have to answer on your own...As I said, I, fortunately, had already been to the Falklands and South Georgia on a cruise before I went to Antarctica separately but based on this experience and knowledge of a much lower cost, and if given a choice of only one I could do, I would personally opt for the combination tour...just my opinion but as I said, only you can answer the questions... :D
wattsed

Postby helix » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:19 pm

Thank you for the answers! :)

Not seeing baby penguins is a cons, but i don't think it's a major one... (maybe not worth for 3000€...). How about whales? Have you seen whales in late october/early november in that area? Or is there a big chance to see them in Oct/Nov? (falklands/South Georgia/antarctica). I've read that january/february is the best time for seeing whales... :/

I've seen whales (mostly humpbacks) in Greenland and that was one of the best sightings i've ever had in my life (and i've lived in a national park in south africa - with wild lions and elephants in my garden!) I'd love to see orcas - an of course other whales too.

Weather - i don't mind! I'm from finland and it's -20°C at the moment...

Any other pros and cons you could think of?
helix

Postby alex cowan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:58 pm

A pretty late reply, but for those wondering about this cruise in future:

The penguins will only just be coming ashore on the Peninsula and for sure there will be no chicks and almost certainly no eggs yet either. But you might see mating behaviour.

You may see whales, but it's pretty early for them too. For whales in abundance come from January onwards. Baby penguins ditto. It's very early and it will probably be cold!

So why go on this trip? Well, you'll see a LOT of ice, but the main reason for going at this time is that it's mating season for the Fur and Elephant Seals. So if you want to step into a scene from a David Attenborough documentary this is a good trip to go on!
alex cowan
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic