what to wear (antartica)

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

what to wear (antartica)

Postby lr25 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:58 pm

ive had a good look through some posts on what to wear but the thing is im hoping to do another trip straight after to peru and the galapagos islands. im a bit worried about carring loads of layers ect but the main item im a bit worried about is a jacket.
can u rent a jacket in ushuaia or on the boat itself?? just because itll take up sooo much room and it would just be a little less luggage for me to carry.
thanks
linsay :D
lr25
User Rank: Traveller

Re: what to wear (antartica)

Postby PaulTeolis » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 pm

I used this place years ago before I had my own gear, email them

http://www.antarcticequipment.com.ar/prices.htm

or I found this online as well, there is an ushuaia office,
email themm too

http://www.shiptoshoretraveler.com/cust ... e/contact/

ShopAntarctica Expedition Gear Rental
Rivadavia 130, 1st Floor, Of. 101
Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego, Argentina
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby lr25 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:07 pm

thanks!! really appreciate your reply. ill have a look at those sites.
lr25

Postby goldb328 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:22 am

for antarctica....no shots needed. just important to bring some form of medication in the event you might be affected by seasickness. They provide medicine on board ship as well, gravol, etc, anything more severe that you run into, they charge you.
"Gold B"
goldb328
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby ktgrl1980 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm booked on the ship for November to Antarctica... And got an email from my travel agent saying that gadventures now supplies jackets for cruises from October 2013... :-)
I was in the same situation of 3 weeks South America travel before and having to drag a jacket around in spring time weather!!!
Thank goodness gadventures now supplies the jackets!!!
ktgrl1980

Postby datracer99 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:27 pm

ktgrl1980 wrote:I'm booked on the ship for November to Antarctica... And got an email from my travel agent saying that gadventures now supplies jackets for cruises from October 2013... :-)
I was in the same situation of 3 weeks South America travel before and having to drag a jacket around in spring time weather!!!

I'm also on the M/S Expedition in November (18/11).
I'm wondering if anyone who has traveled on the Expedition this year, and got the free jacket, can comment on how warm it is.

I received a free jacket from another cruise company for an arctic cruise, and the jacket was not that good, I ended up wearing my own down-filled jacket instead.

I would prefer not to lug 2 jackets around Brazil for the remainder of my trip, so I'm keen for some feedback on how good the "new for 2013" jackets are.
datracer99

Postby pommystuart » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:57 pm

datracer99 wrote:
ktgrl1980 wrote:I'm booked on the ship for November to Antarctica... And got an email from my travel agent saying that gadventures now supplies jackets for cruises from October 2013... :-)

I'm also on the M/S Expedition in November (18/11).
I'm wondering if anyone who has traveled on the Expedition this year, and got the free jacket, can comment on how warm it is.

I received a free jacket from another cruise company for an arctic cruise, and the jacket was not that good, I ended up wearing my own down-filled jacket instead.

I would prefer not to lug 2 jackets around Brazil for the remainder of my trip, so I'm keen for some feedback on how good the "new for 2013" jackets are.

Nov 6th Antarctica cruise.
I also would like to know how good (warm and water resistant) the jackets are.
I found out about the provided ones two weeks after purchasing a AU$400 jacket. %^(
I am also going North after the cruise and would prefer not to lug two around.
TIA.
Stuart.
pommystuart

Postby PaulTeolis » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:21 pm

Stuart,
There is information on the main G Adventures website about the gear

http://www.gadventures.com/ms-expeditio ... on-jacket/

I have seen the jackets and they are great. Suggest wearing a base layer underneath and a fleece
as well and you are set to go. Warmth and layering is important in Antarctica.

I will be returning to the ship in December as Photographer in Residence for G, so have a great
trip...and any questions, drop me a line.

cheers
paul
Animation Professional &
Expedition Photographer for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis

Postby tammys » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:56 pm

With respect to the supplied jackets; when do we receive them? I'm assuming not til on board? My husband and I have a couple of days in Ushuaia before the cruise and it would have been handy to receive the jackets on arrival so we don't have to take another with us.
tammys

Postby alexcowan » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:31 am

Hi from the Scotia Sea!

All of our jackets are stored on board. Storing and distributing them ashore somewhere isn't really possible for us I'm afraid.

They'll be waiting for you in your cabin when you board, and if you've accidentally chosen the wrong size (and lots do of course) we'll swap it for the correct one the following day.

The jackets are just receiving their first few days of use so we'll all have to await reports. Everyone seemed pretty warm and dry in the Falklands; South Georgia and Antarctica will be the real test!
alexcowan

Postby tammys » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks Alex. I appreciate the reply. I figured that would be the case, and good to hear we can adjust sizes if necessary. Cheers!
tammys

Postby wattsed » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:03 pm

I got GAP's jacket a couple years ago when only certain booked cabin category got them; however, the jackets are EXCELLENT! A basic under layer and you are all set to go! Those that got them found them in their cabin as they boarded the ship and were able to swap if they happened to have chosen the wrong size. I think you will be pleased with them! I had some two gallon zip lock baggies with me and I found that on packing to return home the shell and the liner each fit very well in the baggies after you press all the air out of them...it reduced the size very much for packing and carrying forward. I bought my two gallon zip lock baggies at Dollar Tree for, you guessed it, a dollar a box...I think each box contained six---I also use them for dirty clothes.
wattsed

Postby alexcowan » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:12 am

The jackets are a new design this year.

Feedback has been good so far -- people have commented when asked that they are warm and dry. The fit, however, is bizarre. Because of this, you probably won't find one waiting for you in your cabin when you arrive as too many people were bringing their jackets back for an exchange! Instead, on your first night on board you'll be able to try them on and take away one you can be sure fits.
alexcowan

Postby nburgess31 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:14 pm

You will get the jacket on board so if arriving earlier keep this in mind as it is very cold in Ushuaia. Buy clothes especially designed for the cold climate, they will cost more but worth it, especially socks.

I camped overnight on Antarctica and believe me you need many many layers of clothing which is always the key to cold conditions. Still people on our trip stripped down to bathers and did the polar plunge on the coldest windiest day while down there!

For insights on the great program G provide you can check out my blog:
http://nathanburgessinsights.com/2012/1 ... ighlights/
nburgess31

Postby datracer99 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:04 pm

Well I can now answer my own question - The jacket supplied by G Adventures is more than adequate for the job.

It has quite a heavy duty outer shell, which is wind and waterproof. It has heaps of pockets, a removable hood and a removable inner liner. At times people were just wearing the inner as their jacket while on board the ship. It also has a compartment in the right sleeve to store your ID tag when you go ashore.

I wore it ashore with a long sleeve thermal and a fleece jacket underneath, or for short photo shoots on deck with just the thermal, and I was warm enough.

The hood can be a bit annoying - it actually comes a long way forward and often obstructs your vision - this is good in the zodiacs, as it keeps the wind and spray from your face, but is annoying when on land looking at penguins or trying to take photos - I ended up taking another hat ashore with me and removing the hood after the zodiac ride.

It is quite heavy lugging it around if you are going to be doing more travel to warm areas after your cruise. If you don't want to take it with you then they put out a collection box at the end of the trip for unwanted warm items, which they give to the cabin crew (cleaners, waiters, etc) to wear when they go ashore.

David
datracer99

Next

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic