kayak on antarctica expedition

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

kayak on antarctica expedition

Postby duckdoc » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:01 pm

can anyone who has done the kayak trip give me some more details on their experience?
does the ship provide any special clothes, do we need to bring our own? how choppy were the seas, one or two person kayaks?? how wet did you get? any place to put a camera clip on the kayak?? etc...
any other details would be helpful
thanks
liz
duckdoc
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: kayak on antarctica expedition

Postby PaulTeolis » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:44 pm

hi liz,
firstly, I would email/call someone at basecamp at G adventures to double check things.

I was on board the first 3 trips of the season as expedition photographer and can give you
a few things I observed from watching the kayakers. The kayaks are 2 person and all dry gear was provided for the people.

weather wise, we had unbelievably calm waters so the kayakers were out a lot of the time. The first trip of the season the waters were choppy but the kayak master dictated whether the seas were okay for kayaking. I would definitely say the opportunity to get wet from waves and splashes
can happen.

most people who had cameras, they put in a dry bag or brought waterproof ones. I have no clue if
they clipped them or not, or hung them around their necks.

this should get you going...
p~
Professional Photographer
Photographer in Residence for G Adventures
http://www.fieldandscreen.com
twitter:paulteolisphoto
PaulTeolis
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Apparently there is not a mount for the GoPro aqua surf connector thingy but I am still going to strap my GoPro onto myself for kayaking (and swimming) I am not brave enough to trust my dslr even in a waterproof baggie. Too much money invested there LOL
jen_the_rockhopper
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby giskard » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:26 pm

I felt the same way you did about using my DSLR on board the kayak at first, but I did bring it with me in a waterproof bag, inside one of the waterproof pouches of the kayak, because that way I could take it to shore with me when we did kayak shore landings.

After about 3 kayak trips, we went out with hardly any wind, thus hardly any waves and by then I felt so confident in the kayak that I took out my camera... the pictures I took during those paddles are absolutely the best ones of the trip.

In the end I grew so accustomed to using it in the kayak I even took it out during the rather stormy last day, while we were chasing a group of humpback whales. I certainly don't regret it! (I wouldn't have shot this if I hadn't http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk-f6BtQCT0 )
giskard
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby daphodil » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:54 am

We had a few days where the water was a bit choppy and the winds were really strong, made it a bit more difficult to paddle. Note that the kayak master will not take you out onto the water unless he thinks the conditions are good (i.e. not too windy / choppy) and if you think it's too rough for you, you can always choose not to go that day.

I kept my waterproof/freezeproof camera in a ziplock bag in the storage area on my spray skirt and it was okay. I definitely wouldn't have chanced keeping my DSLR there (i'm not that brave!)

It was a lot of fun and I definitely recommend it.
daphodil

Postby alexcowan » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:47 pm

Yes, for sure you can get wet. They don't tend to go out in rough conditions, but it's far from unknown for the conditions to turn bad later on.

The programme is designed for experienced sea kayakers at the moment and it isn't really a 'give it a try' thing. Non kayakers who bluff their way onto the programme sometimes have a good time, and sometimes have an exhausting or even slightly disappointing time because they didn't know what sea kayaking often involves. If in any doubt, avoid disappointment and go and learn to sea kayak!
alexcowan
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic