M/S Expedition - Computer support

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

M/S Expedition - Computer support

Postby jon102 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 am

I am going on the Antarctic trip starting 11 January 2013.

Does anyone know if there is access to a computer on board? - What I should like to do is back up camera memory cards to another form of portable storage without also having to lug along a laptop for the purpose. I have tried sending a query to Gadventure but have not yet received a response.
jon102
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: M/S Expedition - Computer support

Postby anonymous928 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:44 am

There are two public computers on board. I am assuming they wouldn't have a problem with you using them to transfer photos to your portable device. Internet is also available for purchase by the MB.
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:52 am

You are definitely welcome to use one of the two computers to transfer photos. The computers in question were running Ubuntu when I sailed (2 years ago) but had dual USB ports on each computer. Two computers doesn't sound like a lot but you should be able to find some time on them if you don't wait until the last minute (lots of people at the computers submitting copies of their photos for the crew during the last couple of days at sea).
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby jon102 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Just had this reply from G adventures:

"Just letting you know that our operations department has got back to us regarding your inquiry about the USB ports in the computers on board of the MS Expedition. Great news! The computers have recently been made USB ready so you don't have to bring your laptop with you.:)"

So that is a little less to carry.
jon102

Postby trumpeteerav » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:38 am

the internet will break the bank so don't plan on doing a lot of uploading to FB or anything. You can check email and send a few tweets and it will only cost you a small fortune. I spent about $170 on internet and I wasn't on there very long at all. I had some tax papers due so I had to purchase enough to get that done. I made the mistake of trying to login to FB and post something (no images) and by the time I refreshed a couple of times I used up a $50 internet card in 3 minutes. Yep....that's not a typo. Anywho, I got to sit at the captain's table for dinner since I was the highest internet user on the ship. HA! The two computers they have are decent but you will have a pretty good line to get to them in the evenings. After 11 pm everybody is in bed or at the bar so then you'll have it all to yourself.
trumpeteerav
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby chrisburridge » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:13 am

Thanks for the computer information. I was on Expedition on a short Arctic trip and didn't bother with e-mails, but this Antarctic trip (Jan 11th) means I will need to let my husband know I'm OK now and again. The cost sounds awful, so he won't be getting much info, and no pics.
chrisburridge

Postby manoharan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:13 am

I have just returned from a trip. There are two computers in the computer room for free use. For Internet access, you have to pay (an arm and a leg, since the the data transfer is via satellite).

To transfer photos to a portable drive, these computers are fine. Please take a USB extension cord with you, since you may not be able to get your card reader to fit in the limited space available around the USB ports. I had this problem, and was hitting the power off button all the time!

Oh, the computers are ancient and sloooow. One dual boots to Win XP and Ubuntu and the other is Win XP.
manoharan

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic