Hiking shoes?

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Hiking shoes?

Postby linda.m » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:28 pm

I'm leaving in less than a week for my trip to Antarctica and I'm really excited!! I'm getting down to the nitty gritty details and I'm trying to decide if I should pack my hiking shoes as well as my running shoes. The hiking shoes are more waterproof and probably more slip-proof, but are they really necessary since I'll probably only be wearing them on the ship I imagine? If anyone can help me decide I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
linda.m
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Hiking shoes?

Postby giskard » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:21 pm

I had hiking boots with me on my trip and was pretty glad I did. You'll (hopefully!) be standing out on deck quite a bit, gazing at all the magnificent stuff that Antarctica has to offer, and when the deck is even a little wet it can get quite slippery, so you really want shoes with good grip. In case of rain/snow, the waterproof aspect might come in handy too.
giskard
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby wattsed » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:30 pm

If the boots are heavy you may want to re-consider the above advise and save that weight for something else more important...they can be strict on weight sometimes and if they are just for i wearing on deck I think I would consider something else for that purpose..You will not use them on shore as you use the boots provided...the only other time may be if you decide to arrive early and hike in the Park before boarding the boat...just sayin'
wattsed
User Rank: Traveller

Postby shelchan » Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:04 pm

If weight/space in your luggage is a concern, you could always wear the shoes on the plane. I have to have hiking boots for the pre-cruise excursion and due to their size, they're going to be worn. They actually weigh less than my tennis shoes so weight isn't an issue, but if you must have them, I say wear them on the flight.
shelchan

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:20 am

I prefer to use trail running shoes over hiking boots in most circumstances. They have good traction on broken ground like TdF NP but grip the deck better than hiking boots would. You want footwear on the boat that will grip the deck well -- most of the walking surfaces are coated with non-slip paint but there are portions that are slick even when dry.

It can be wet on deck so it's a good idea to have footgear that will either resist getting wet or will dry out quickly.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic