Footwear for Kayaking?

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Footwear for Kayaking?

Postby shelchan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:13 pm

For those of you who have done the kayaking addition to the Antarctic tours, what type of shoes do I need? I'm assuming the wellingtons are too large and unwieldy to have in the kayak but perhaps I am wrong. I will be doing the Patagonia pre-trip extension so I'll have waterproof hiking boots but wasn't sure if those are what I'd need for kayaking.

Getting very excited about my trip! Anyone else headed out there in December? :)
shelchan
User Rank: Traveller

Re: Footwear for Kayaking?

Postby tletter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:18 pm

shelchan wrote:For those of you who have done the kayaking addition to the Antarctic tours, what type of shoes do I need?

They'll issue you a pair of neoprene booties so you'll only need to bring a pair of socks for additional insulation. The equipment that we were issued was fine with the only clothing needed being a hat, gloves (I rarely wore mine) and an insulating layer for under the issued outerwear but you don't need much insulation since you should be generating a lot of heat when paddling.

Kayaking past the Boulder of Doom!
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Re: Footwear for Kayaking?

Postby shelchan » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Perfect! Makes packing even easier then. Whew!
shelchan

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic