Free time before cruise

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Free time before cruise

Postby pattyandmax » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:00 am

HI
My daughter and I will be arriving late on Jan 1 for the Jan 3rd departure, assuming our flights are on time we have a full day and departure day for sight seeing.
Two questions
1 how much time before departure do we really have so we can plan something for that day
2 any recommendations for our free day I saw reference to a G partner wondered if anyone took day trips with them and have contact info.
We are beginning to count the day !
Thanks
pattyandmax
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Free time before cruise

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 pm

pattyandmax wrote:HI
My daughter and I will be arriving late on Jan 1 for the Jan 3rd departure, assuming our flights are on time we have a full day and departure day for sight seeing.
Two questions
1 how much time before departure do we really have so we can plan something for that day
2 any recommendations for our free day I saw reference to a G partner wondered if anyone took day trips with them and have contact info.
We are beginning to count the day !
Thanks

I arrived with about the same available time you are. I used the first night in Ushuaia to wander around town a little. The next day I went for a hike in Tierra del Fuego Nacional Park and hit some museums in town before the joining meeting the night before departure. Departure itself isn't until mid afternoon so you have time to book a morning tour with G's partner (really wish they'd let you know who it is so you can book in advance). I took the guided tour of TDFNP which took a different route than my morning hike and included a ride on the train with historic monologue. You get back to town in time to have a decent lunch and wander down to the bus pickup for departure.

Enjoy, it was a heckuva trip!
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby pattyandmax » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:28 pm

Does anyone know how to contact the local G people and make reservations before we arrive?
Thanks
pattyandmax

Postby roliecarron » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:55 pm

I also am interested in doing a tour of
Terra Del Fuego National Park. I have emailed GAP ADVENTURES to see if
they can set up a trip for me the day before i get there so it is organized and booked in advanced Rolie
HI Everyone on the Inca trek and Machu Pichu area. Had a fabulous time. Percy was great. our guide on the tour. Looking for Rochelle,s email address is anyone has. Great pictures and fond memories of this trip. Awesome Rolie Carron
roliecarron
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby anonymous928 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:09 pm

The G Adventures representative does an info session the night you arrive and lets you book tours at that point as well if you don't get it sorted out before you go. Tierra del Fuego is definitely one of the options.

I personally did a Canal Fun tour (NOT booked through G Adventures) to go 4x4ing to Lake Escondido and Fagnano and it was fantastic. It is a 7-8 hour tour that picks you up at your hotel and includes an Argentinian "feast" of beef and chorizo grilled along the beach. A wonderfully fun start to my trip, but be warned the off-roading will really shake you around!
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby sinecure » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:02 pm

In trip itinerary posted online, is the contact information for the local G Adventure office. That is who you should contact, to book tours and the like for days before your tour starts.
sinecure

Postby chrisburridge » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:06 am

I've tried several times to book with the local tour company, also the ride from the airport to my B & B - I've never had a confirmation page yet. I've either booked 7 hikes in TDF Park or none, and I may be stranded at the airport. I've given up and will wait for the first day information.
chrisburridge

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic