Insurance

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Insurance

Postby superal1983 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:26 am

I haven't taken out the GAP insurance as I need to cover myself for a pre-existing medical condition.

Last time I went to Svalbard I added Winter Activities to the premium; I'm heading off on the Svalbard/Greenland trip this September and wondered if this is really necessary? I don't remember doing anything that would suggest I needed this additional cover.

Thanks,
superal1983
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: Insurance

Postby puffin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:37 am

I’ve done the Realm of the Polar Bear trip and last year I did the Arctic Highlights.
I don’t know what the ‘Winter Activities’ is covering but I don’t think you'll need it.
What you are doing on the landings are the same on both these trips.
On one landing in Greenland there was an opportunity climb quite high on a mountain if one wanted, and I didn’t have such alternatives in Svalbard.
And of course, there is the optional polar swim from the ship.
Have a great trip!
puffin
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:42 pm

I don't think you have to take out GAP's insurance but you are supposed to have some sort of insurance to cover emergency medical and/or repatriation expenses. They normally simply check to see that you have a policy of some kind although I have been on GAP trips where the guide didn't bother checking for the insurance policy. You can take your chances but be aware they have every right to boot you from the trip if you show up without documentation they said was "required".
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby TravelFun » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm

You may not needed the 'winter activities' cover but you will need travel insurance. As mentioned, you could be booted off the trip so the required insurance is necessary. This is clearly stated in the trip notes:

Travel Insurance: Travel insurance is compulsory in order to participate on any of our trips. When travelling on a group trip, you will not be permitted to join the group until evidence of travel insurance has been sighted by your CEO, who will take note of your insurance details. When selecting a travel insurance policy please bear in mind that all clients must have medical coverage and that we require a minimum coverage of USD 200,000 for repatriation and emergency rescue. We strongly recommend that the policy also covers personal liability, cancellation, curtailment and loss of luggage and personal effects. If you have credit card insurance we require proof of purchase of the trip (a receipt of credit card statement) with a credit card in your name. Contact your bank for details of their participating insurer, the level of coverage and emergency contact telephone number.

If you're not sure then do call up G Adventures to ask for what specific activities need to be covered, if at all.

Happy Travels!
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby georginal » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:09 pm

For pre conditions and I presume your departing the UK, check out STA Travels' insurance. I have the same problem and they're pretty thorough on the activities covered. You don't have to be a student either.
georginal
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic