M/S Expedition boots

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

M/S Expedition boots

Postby walksinhearts » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:02 pm

I've booked to go on the realm of the polar bear in July on the M/S Expedition and have (among my many questions!) a query on the boots that are provided.

Namely, how comfortable/well insulated are they? Are they just standard wellies?

I'm planning on bringing a whole bunch of hiking socks with me as well as some fleece welly liner things but wondered if I also need to buy padded insoles to make them more comfy if wearing for hours or standing on ice.

I do have my own boots (http://www.usclearancestore.com/images/ ... 498-02.jpg) but they're only waterproof up to the ankles, although theoretically with waterproof trousers and then gaiters over the top they should be ok for knee height water on few occasions. How deep will be the water that you step out of the zodiacs into be and how many of the landings will be wet rather than just dampish?

Anyone who has been on a trip and worn the boots and has any insights (or photos!) would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
Genna
walksinhearts
User Rank: Daytripper

Re: M/S Expedition boots

Postby tletter » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:04 pm

walksinhearts wrote:how comfortable/well insulated are they? Are they just standard wellies? ... (or photos!)

They are just rubber boots per this photo:

walksinhearts wrote:if I also need to buy padded insoles to make them more comfy if wearing for hours or standing on ice.

They were fine as is with just some decent socks. If your insoles get wet, they should be quick to dry.

walksinhearts wrote:I do have my own boots (http://www.usclearancestore.com/images/ ... 498-02.jpg) but they're only waterproof up to the ankles

After most landings, you'll have to hose off your muddy boots. Are your boots going to get wet then? In any event, if you have the space and weight limit available, then you could take them and see how they work.

walksinhearts wrote:How deep will be the water that you step out of the zodiacs into be

It depends but generally should not overtop your boots.

walksinhearts wrote:how many of the landings will be wet rather than just dampish?

The Zodiac drivers try to get you ashore dry where possible but even then sometimes the water overtopped the rubber boots - waterproof pants helped but they were not de rigueur.

walksinhearts wrote:Anyone who has been on a trip and worn the boots and has any insights (or photos!)

Personally I would not worry about the boots. They worked for folks on our trip.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby wattsed » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:59 pm

I also would not worry about the boots supplied by the Expedition---they were very good with a couple pairs of socks---the bottoms have fairly thick treads which are good for navigating the ice/snow and actually keep the bottom of the boot further from your feet---most of the women's boots are also lined...you wear your rain pants over the boots to keep water out in case of a high water landing which is actually rare---the crew tries to get you as close to shore as possible---only once on my trip was the water level pretty high but that time we were helped by the crew to exit over the nose of the zodiac which had nudged on to the shore(we were very, very lucky with the weather and made a total of 14 landings or zodiac cruises)
wattsed
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Postby walksinhearts » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:12 am

Thank you both so much for the responses, that's incredibly helpful to know!
walksinhearts

Postby jen_the_rockhopper » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:57 pm

on the topic of boots, does anyone know if they allow the women to wear the men's sizes or if we would then have to bring our own? Im right on the edge of the womens' size the carry and well I have what i fondly call duck feet- narrow heel and wide toes and often wear men's boots anyhow.
jen_the_rockhopper
User Rank: Adventurer
User Rank: Adventurer

Postby tletter » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:38 am

jen_the_rockhopper wrote:on the topic of boots, does anyone know if they allow the women to wear the men's sizes

You just pick out a pair that fits.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic