Where to stay in Ushuaia

Famous for its enormous icebergs, towering glaciers and shimmering summer light, Antarctica offers some of the planet's most awe inspiring landscapes. The North Atlantic and Arctic evoke images of sparse snow covered lands, but when summer comes it bursts with colour and life.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Where to stay in Ushuaia

Postby pattyandmax » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:23 am

HI
I will be spending a night in Ushuaia before joining our group 1/1/13 for the Classic trip.
Any suggestions on where to stay -- the hotels seem to be filling fast-- and any local guides and day trips would be great. I am counting the days already!
Thanks
pattyandmax
User Rank: Weekender

Re: Where to stay in Ushuaia

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:42 pm

G has a local affiliate with day trip options. You can also book extra days at the joining hotel through G. I had suggested that G provide contact info for their affiliate so people could book tours before arriving but it doesn't appear they've done this. The joining hotel has a good breakfast buffet and free wifi Internet access; it's at the top of a hill overlooking the rest of the town so easy to walk on down.

I highly recommend a walking tour of Tierra del Fuego National Park -- you can easily spend all day there hiking around. Buses to the park are available from the wharf -- I think it cost me US $10 (can't remember if that's roundtrip or each way) -- and your return passage is open-ended. You can complement this with a half-day trip with G's affiliate that takes a guided tour and prison train ride through TdF the morning of departure (you meet the buses down on the waterfront in early afternoon and board Expedition about 1600 for an evening departure.

Some good small museums in the town; I wish I had taken a half-day trip to the Magellanic penguin colony -- you'll see tons of penguins on your voyage but of course no Magellanics -- or to the local glacier.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
Travelog: http://gadget-travels.net/travelog
Travel photos: http://gadget-travels.net/photos
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby tletter » Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:03 pm

pattyandmax wrote:Any suggestions on where to stay -- the hotels seem to be filling fast

The Antarctica Hostel is fine if you want an inexpensive stay. You can also book tours directly at reception.

pattyandmax wrote:and day trips

I had no problem booking a 4x4 trip the day before at one of the several tour agencies in town.
__________________________________________________________________________________
Please feel free to check out my travel website at http://travelogues.x10hosting.com/
tletter
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer
User Rank: Elite World Wanderer

Postby pattyandmax » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:09 pm

Thanks so much so many choices so little time...
pattyandmax

Postby jam3056 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:26 am

GAdventures uses the Cilene Del Faro. This was a great hotel, but a little pricey when you have to pay yourself. I would see if you could negotiate prices. If you want to travel around before your trip, I would not use the GAdventures tours but negotiate directly with the taxi drivers down by the dock. We got a taxi to take four of us out to Tierra Del Fuego Nat. Park, wait for us at the end of our hike and bring us back, all for about a quarter of what we each would have paid otherwise. Enjoy your trip!
jam3056
User Rank: Daytripper

Postby roliecarron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:40 am

thanks for the info on hotels , where to stay in Ushuaia
The GAP hotel is $249 per night. yikes. .
I found the Alto Andino hotel $200 per night. a bit cheaper. not much but still.
Thanks for the tip on taking taking a taxi to the Mierra del Fuego national park
and also the magellanic penguin colony.
I hear Ushuaia is just cute to walk around and see the place, shops, etc. thanks Rolie
HI Everyone on the Inca trek and Machu Pichu area. Had a fabulous time. Percy was great. our guide on the tour. Looking for Rochelle,s email address is anyone has. Great pictures and fond memories of this trip. Awesome Rolie Carron
roliecarron

Postby anonymous928 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:02 pm

I was at Cilene del Faro, but the majority of people on our cruise were actually at Hotel Albatros which I think might be cheaper as Cilene del Faro was suites. Our room had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, full kitchen, dining area, living room, and balcony. If I was going to be in Ushuaia I would actually book there and cook for myself to save money:)
anonymous928
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller

Return to Antarctica, Arctic and North Atlantic