Feature requests..

Post your opinions and suggestions to help improve our website and discussion forum.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Feature requests..

Postby avonord » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:02 am

Since GAP is revamping their site, I figure I would start a wish list. (Maybe it is already too late at this point, because it seems they are already in the middle of development.) But it is not going to stop me from trying anyway. :) Here are my two cents for now..

- How about iPhone theme for the phpBB forum to make posting from iPhone easier?
- Can we send emails to add blog entries? A few online blog engines support this.
avonord
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad

Re: Feature requests..

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:53 am

I think it's kind of odd that they have The Watering Hole so separated from the main GAP community site that we can have two separate profiles (one for each).

It wouldn't be easy but it would be nice if the departure threads could be titled automatically by selecting the trip you're going on -- and even better if multi-segment trips could be linked so you didn't have separate threads for trips A, B and C when C = A+B.

If they can't indicate interest (vs. spaces left) on the actual GAP page, maybe they could have something parallel to the Departure Lounge where people could indicate interest in particular trips and dates to build interest and perhaps get some of the fence sitters to commit (and enable some of these cancelled tours to get off the ground). Actually, what would be REALLY great would be to have a polling feature so members could "vote" on which trips they might go on with a threaded discussion to build interest. I can easily imagine 6 or 8 people deciding together to go ahead and book a trip after finding out they were each interested in it.

Since the Departure Lounge is already separated into general areas, they could easily put up linked clocks showing the current time in the subject countries as part of the header for those geographic sections. The US government already has some examples that can be linked over at www.time.gov. Linking in the current weather forecasts for those specific areas from wunderground.com or weather.com would be nice too.

In fact, going off my earlier suggestion of automatically creating the title from the actual trip, they could template it so the VERY first post for a trip had the weather report, time, currency exchange and arrival information already linked in.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby DanielBMe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:29 am

..where people could indicate interest in particular trips and dates to build interest and perhaps get some of the fence sitters to commit...

I've been thinking about this and I kind of think having the interest next to the remaining seats won't really work. I agree somewhat with an area for generating interest but If you really think about it, you can already create a thread for your trip in the destination lounge asking if anyone is considering the trip and what dates are they thinking about. If anyone is interested, they can simply respond. The more that I think about it, I believe the problem lies more in the fact that there are a whole lot of people simply not aware of the forum.

I booked my trip in October 2008 for June 2009. I posted something in the departure lounge. Even though there are ony 2 others booked for the trip, neither of them have posted anything as of yet. My friend recently went to Vietnam thru GAP and she wasn't even aware of the forum until I emailed her the link. I have another friend who also wasn't aware of the forum. I think GAP needs to make a better effort to market the the forum. Maybe a nice big "View our Forum" on the main page. When you book thru a travel agent the agents should inform you that GAP has a great forum where most of your questions will have already been answered.

Using your example of the date, currency exchange examples, perhaps when you move your mouse over the title of the trip, a popup list opens up which has a few links, one of them to the forum. So if your trip is to Kenya, the link would take you to the Africa forum.
DanielBMe
User Rank: Elite Explorer
User Rank: Elite Explorer

Postby JaliscoJudy » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:27 am

Using your example of the date, currency exchange examples, perhaps when you move your mouse over the title of the trip, a popup list opens up which has a few links, one of them to the forum. So if your trip is to Kenya, the link would take you to the Africa forum.

Great idea! There's so much useful information here; it's really a shame if people don't find it.
JaliscoJudy

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Yes, Daniel's right about promoting the forums more. I first found them 2-3 days before my first trip with GAP. I really think they should link the respective area forums in the description of each trip so people know to go and discuss the trips. For example, close to the top of a trip -- say, Discover Japan for example -- something like a noticeable banner that said "Discuss this trip and see who else wants to go!" that linked to the Asia forum.

I know what he means about people not posting. My Greek Islands Sailing Adventure appears to be half-filled (max 8 people according to the trip description, 4 slots left going from Athens to Kos on July 5) but no one has responded to my posting in the July departure lounge.
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe

Return to Website and Forum Feedback