Spring Loot Giveaway.

Links to timely information and announcements from G Adventures.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Spring Loot Giveaway.

Postby sinecure » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:28 pm

One of your moderators is back from a successful raid on the G Adventures vault of loot! (we might have some clothing, some books, and who knows what else). To win some of this fine loot, pick one of the values and share a story of how a G Adventures captured this value for you?

Don't know what the G Adventure core values are? see this https://www.gadventures.com/about-us/core-values/

How to enter:
Share your story as a reply to this post. Only replies to this post will be judged.

Rules & Boring Stuff:
- Have fun!
- Open to everyone
- You can only win one gift
- Post will be judged by your moderators (bonus points if you know who we are)
- Post will close on Feb 28th at Midnight PST
- Value of gift is random
- Winners will need to submit a photo with themselves with their gift
- Not an official/sanctioned G Adventures contest
sinecure

Re: Spring Loot Giveaway.

Postby IncaTrail50 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:53 am

My value is Embrace! I believe that G encourages us to embrace a different way of life from the one we live at home. I went on the Kenya and Tanzania Camping Safari in 2011 and had a chance to visit a Maasai village in Tanzania. We were given a demonstration of house-building using cattle dung and offered a chance to help. Our CEO laughed when he made the offer because very few people accept the offer. Pick up cattle dung? Eeewww. But, I thought about it and decided I wanted to try it. Could I survive as a Maasai woman? The answer was no...I could not make the dung stick to the walls :( My family would have been homeless. The young Maasai girls laughed at my attempt and I laughed with them. What was so simple for them was impossible for me. And when I was done a young Maasai man cleaned the dung off my hands with a single cup of water, something that I would have used a sink full of water in Canada to accomplish. Thanks, G, for opening my eyes!
Dung house.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I will never let my dreams just be dreams.
IncaTrail50
User Rank: Explorer

Postby TravelFun » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:20 pm

Come on everyone...love to hear your stories :P
DO THE RIGHT THING ...all the time, every time!
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

TravelFun

Postby scuba steve » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:28 pm

My value is Lead (with service).

For years I had wanted to hike the Inca trail, but due to my job I wasn't able to commit to a firm booking time and plan ahead. Back in 2010 I finally had the time to do the trip, Absolute Peru, but as I sat in my travel agent's office it became clear I would have to wait. She informed me that mudslides had wiped out part of the trail and it was closed during the time I wanted to go.
Not discouraged, I traveled elsewhere and again in 2012 tried to book a tour for Peru and the Inca trail.
Because of the short time constraint between my booking time and my departure time, there was some uncertainty whether I would be able to hike the trail I wanted to. G adventures came through and got my permits, and I was able to go! I began my trip November 15, 2012.

When I arrived in Peru, I had difficulty at the airport with customs due to an expensive camera and lenses I was bringing along for the trip. I was a full 45 minutes dealing with the problem, yet the airport transfer person was still happily waving the G adventures sign when I finally emerged. Thank goodness.

We began the tour and it became apparent that our guide was a good one. Harold was excellent from start to finish. Almost none of our 16 person group spoke Spanish, but he did a great job making sure everyone understood everything the entire trip.
Nearly every night he took us to local restaurants that he knew would be safe to eat at. He guided us on extra activities in our(and his) spare time including an off road hike to a hot springs that left us exploring a mountainside unscripted. Such adventure, and all before we even made it to the Inca trail. He even participated in all of the optional activities that our group chose to do, and made things comfortable for everyone.

With a night to go before we set out on the Inca trail, several people in our group became ill. Harold found a doctor and dealt with it right away... the people who became sick were well enough to hike thanks to his quick action.

We also had difficult people in our group... the kind of people who travel all the way around the world and expect things to be exactly the same as back where they come from. Our guide was patient with them and did the best he could in a difficult situation.

All in all, I had a wonderful experience and it was because of my chosen value.
I am booked to do my second G adventure to Africa in April, thanks in no small part to how smooth my trip to Peru went.
Thanks G adventures.

Steve from Canada
scuba steve
User Rank: Weekender
User Rank: Weekender

Postby ballu » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:09 pm

I love reading these stories! Although they're making me impatient for my next adventure :)
EMBRACE THE BIZARRE
http://www.gadventures.com/about-us/gadventures/

I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list

If you never get lost, you never get found

ballu

Postby sinecure » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:18 pm

Only 7 days left... your odds are looking pretty good to walk away with something!
sinecure

Postby ExplorerWannaBe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:23 am

We only get to pick ONE value? How boring -- and difficult since three of my favorite trips embodied all five of your core values ...

I'll go with Love (Changing People's Lives). All of my trips with GAP have been great but my last trip was tremendous. The CEO, Duffman, was one of the more outgoing and unusual guides I've ever had. I knew I was in for something new when he showed up in Melbourne with braided beard and tattoos and took us out for Korean food after we finished with the administrative paperwork and introductions. He told us how he was introduced to G and its core values and the way they wanted to conduct tours and it was such a match with how he likes to conduct tours.

Not only did he introduce us to everything he loved about his country (Australia), he constantly strove to show us something new, from Australian food (like kangaroo, crocodile, Australian burgers, and the best pizza in Australia) to cultural exchanges (like dreamtime stories with Australian aboriginals and didgeridoo music) to the extraordinarily scenic sights (like the incredible vistas along the Great Ocean Road, sunrises and sunsets at Uluru, or the hidden grotto in Kings Canyon) to experiences (like hiking Kings Canyon or the Grampian Mountains, visiting a kangaroo sanctuary, and getting everyone to hike and drive into Alice Springs in costume).

Our visit with local aboriginals as well as his talks on Australian history and geology gave us a greater feel and appreciation for the people that first settled that vast country-continent and the vast forces that formed it. Many found a new love for sleeping under the stars and a fine appreciation for the Australian swag bag (I'm a long time Boy Scout and camper so I've always loved sleeping under the stars but the swag bag was a fantastic new experience).

Feeding the kangaroos at a sanctuary in Coober Pedy -- and getting kissed by a joey -- was an incredible surprise experience and we all felt great about the chance to contribute to Planeterra through games like guessing his and my ages. At least one romance developed between our tour mates, many new friendships were formed, and existing bonds were strengthened through this shared experience.

I couldn't think of a better way to be introduced to Australia or to close out my last continent. It was everything I imagined and more; by the end of the trip I could even visualize myself changing careers to become a G CEO.

Well ... okay, I could have done without this burned into my retinas ...

EDIT: By the way, I just noticed my selection matches sinecure's latest avatar. Entirely unintentional but do I get suck-up points anyway? :lol:
Not all those who wander are lost. -- J.R.R. Tolkien
ExplorerWannaBe
User Rank: Road Warrior
User Rank: Road Warrior

Postby IncaTrail50 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:19 pm

sinecure wrote:- Post will be judged by your moderators (bonus points if you know who we are)

Extra bonus points if we live around the corner from each other? Vancouver Island isn't THAT big...

:lol:
IncaTrail50

Postby sinecure » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:23 pm

I'll have to look to see if that's worth any bonus points.
sinecure

Postby sinecure » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:51 pm

The spring loot giveaway is now closed.

Please allow a few days for your moderators to discuss placement.

Thank you to everyone who entered.
sinecure

Postby IncaTrail50 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:21 pm

Got my prize! Thanks, Mods, and here's my story and picture with my loot!
Once upon a time there was a princess named Kimmer50 who was attending a Royal Ball. However, this was no ordinary princess and this was no ordinary Royal Ball. Kimmer50 was a G Adventures princess and the Royal Ball was in the Snow Castle at Snowking Winter Festival XiX in Yellowknife.

Princess Kimmer50's ball gown had to be very, very warm because the Snow Castle was very, very cold. Her tiara from the Women's Weaving Co-op of Ccaccaccollo kept her elaborate hair-do in place.
Pic 1_1462.jpg

The Royal Ball was a foot-stompin' affair and the princess danced every jig and reel with a handsome prince.
Pic 3_1329.jpg

The next day the handsome prince searched the kingdom high and low for the delightful owner of the goretex waterproof hiking boot/glass slipper.
Pic 5_1820.jpg

The prince and princess lived happily ever after in the kingdom of G Adventures :D
Pic 6.jpg

(This picture was taken by fellow G Adventurer Sherman Keeley)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IncaTrail50

Return to Announcements and Links