Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Ancient temples swallowed by the jungle, rice paddies, local markets, stunning beaches, fiery cuisine, smoking incense at the feet of a golden Buddha, and the friendliest locals around.

Moderators: sinecure, TravelFun, ballu, jimshu, JaliscoJudy

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby stefan_g » Thu May 10, 2012 4:45 am

Thinking about booking this trip for Dec/Jan. Any more thoughts, likes, reviews or warnings beside the bumpy ride back to BK?

From the itinenary it looks great, but of course it's quite a long one.
stefan_g
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby courts09 » Fri May 11, 2012 6:42 am

I didn't do Indochina Encompassed (went on Roam Cambodia and have been to most of the places on the trip) however I can report that the road from Siem Reap to Bangkok has been fixed. In fact the trip from the Cambodian border is fantastic and I think most of our group was able to get a few hours sleep (which was needed after a late night in Bangkok)

It's an amazing part of the world. Savor every moment and don't forget to pack immodium and mosquito repellent!
Image

Stories and tips from SE Asia and beyond http://madtotravel.wordpress.com/
courts09
User Rank: Traveller
User Rank: Traveller
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:24 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby onyx007 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:14 am

stefan_g wrote:Thinking about booking this trip for Dec/Jan. Any more thoughts, likes, reviews or warnings beside the bumpy ride back to BK? From the itinenary it looks great, but of course it's quite a long one.


I did it during february and it was just great. By the way the roadtrip in Cambodia is long but fine. It's much worse between Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng, but is survivable :mrgreen:
So I can give you following tipps:

The joining hotel in Bangkok, the "Bangkok Centre Hotel" charges a ridiculous amount for their WIFI, but just around the corner on the main street is a much cheaper Internet Café.
If you arrive early at the hotel and don't have a clou where to go take the public bus no. 53 (just in front of the "Family Mart" on the main street). This bus will you take for only 6.50 Baht (sometimes for free) direct to the Royal Palace and also further on to the backpacker area of Kao San Road.

By the way if you arrive at a "normal" time at the airport, don't bother to look for a bus (there is no bus), go directly to the train station and take the regular train, change at Makassan to the subway and this journey will cost you only 64 Baht in total. If you take a taxi to the city it should only cost you 500 Baht. Go with a taxi with meter or make a deal before you get in one; a couple paid for their taxi 1500 Baht!

The dinner on your train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is fine, but you might bring along something for the morning, as our train arrived with a delay of 2 1/2 hours in Chiang Mai (instead of 8 am at 10.30 am).

If your tourguide gives you the option in Chiang Mai to go to "Tiger Kingdom". It's amazing. It's a petting zoo, where you can go in to the paddocks and play with different sizes of tigers (depends on the price you're willing to pay).

In Luang Prapang the “Ziplining” is great fun and the ride and bathing with the elephants is just amazing. Check out the terrace of the UTOPIA-Bar.

In Hue we had the great opportunity to do our included tours and some more sights on a back of a motorbike like the locals are used to ride.

If you’re a shopaholic prepare for Hoi An in Vietnam. They have 400 tailorshops there and some of our group had to buy another bag or even ship their shopping back home. You can even bring along some magazine clippings if you like a dress like a star and can't efford it. The bikeride there is great as well; some of us had the opportunity to ride a waterbufallo.

And finally it’s allright to bring your own laptop. In most of the hotels they have free WIFI, even in Vietnam, but there (except in Saigon) Facebook is blocked, but I downloaded something and it worked fine. But they have computers in the hotel lobby and on this computers Facebook is available.

If you have any questions regarding this trip, just write me.
Image
User avatar
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: Zürich / Switzerland

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby stefan_g » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 am

Thanks for all of this. A (very) late reply from my side though.

I've booked the trip now and I'm totally excited to go. I'll make sure to bring your notes here as well!

onyx007 wrote:
stefan_g wrote:Thinking about booking this trip for Dec/Jan. Any more thoughts, likes, reviews or warnings beside the bumpy ride back to BK? From the itinenary it looks great, but of course it's quite a long one.


I did it during february and it was just great. By the way the roadtrip in Cambodia is long but fine. It's much worse between Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng, but is survivable :mrgreen:
So I can give you following tipps:

The joining hotel in Bangkok, the "Bangkok Centre Hotel" charges a ridiculous amount for their WIFI, but just around the corner on the main street is a much cheaper Internet Café.
If you arrive early at the hotel and don't have a clou where to go take the public bus no. 53 (just in front of the "Family Mart" on the main street). This bus will you take for only 6.50 Baht (sometimes for free) direct to the Royal Palace and also further on to the backpacker area of Kao San Road.

By the way if you arrive at a "normal" time at the airport, don't bother to look for a bus (there is no bus), go directly to the train station and take the regular train, change at Makassan to the subway and this journey will cost you only 64 Baht in total. If you take a taxi to the city it should only cost you 500 Baht. Go with a taxi with meter or make a deal before you get in one; a couple paid for their taxi 1500 Baht!

The dinner on your train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is fine, but you might bring along something for the morning, as our train arrived with a delay of 2 1/2 hours in Chiang Mai (instead of 8 am at 10.30 am).

If your tourguide gives you the option in Chiang Mai to go to "Tiger Kingdom". It's amazing. It's a petting zoo, where you can go in to the paddocks and play with different sizes of tigers (depends on the price you're willing to pay).

In Luang Prapang the “Ziplining” is great fun and the ride and bathing with the elephants is just amazing. Check out the terrace of the UTOPIA-Bar.

In Hue we had the great opportunity to do our included tours and some more sights on a back of a motorbike like the locals are used to ride.

If you’re a shopaholic prepare for Hoi An in Vietnam. They have 400 tailorshops there and some of our group had to buy another bag or even ship their shopping back home. You can even bring along some magazine clippings if you like a dress like a star and can't efford it. The bikeride there is great as well; some of us had the opportunity to ride a waterbufallo.

And finally it’s allright to bring your own laptop. In most of the hotels they have free WIFI, even in Vietnam, but there (except in Saigon) Facebook is blocked, but I downloaded something and it worked fine. But they have computers in the hotel lobby and on this computers Facebook is available.

If you have any questions regarding this trip, just write me.
stefan_g
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby stefan_g » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 am

Thanks for all of this. A (very) late reply from my side though.

I've booked the trip now and I'm totally excited to go. I'll make sure to bring your notes here as well!

onyx007 wrote:
stefan_g wrote:Thinking about booking this trip for Dec/Jan. Any more thoughts, likes, reviews or warnings beside the bumpy ride back to BK? From the itinenary it looks great, but of course it's quite a long one.


I did it during february and it was just great. By the way the roadtrip in Cambodia is long but fine. It's much worse between Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng, but is survivable :mrgreen:
So I can give you following tipps:

The joining hotel in Bangkok, the "Bangkok Centre Hotel" charges a ridiculous amount for their WIFI, but just around the corner on the main street is a much cheaper Internet Café.
If you arrive early at the hotel and don't have a clou where to go take the public bus no. 53 (just in front of the "Family Mart" on the main street). This bus will you take for only 6.50 Baht (sometimes for free) direct to the Royal Palace and also further on to the backpacker area of Kao San Road.

By the way if you arrive at a "normal" time at the airport, don't bother to look for a bus (there is no bus), go directly to the train station and take the regular train, change at Makassan to the subway and this journey will cost you only 64 Baht in total. If you take a taxi to the city it should only cost you 500 Baht. Go with a taxi with meter or make a deal before you get in one; a couple paid for their taxi 1500 Baht!

The dinner on your train from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is fine, but you might bring along something for the morning, as our train arrived with a delay of 2 1/2 hours in Chiang Mai (instead of 8 am at 10.30 am).

If your tourguide gives you the option in Chiang Mai to go to "Tiger Kingdom". It's amazing. It's a petting zoo, where you can go in to the paddocks and play with different sizes of tigers (depends on the price you're willing to pay).

In Luang Prapang the “Ziplining” is great fun and the ride and bathing with the elephants is just amazing. Check out the terrace of the UTOPIA-Bar.

In Hue we had the great opportunity to do our included tours and some more sights on a back of a motorbike like the locals are used to ride.

If you’re a shopaholic prepare for Hoi An in Vietnam. They have 400 tailorshops there and some of our group had to buy another bag or even ship their shopping back home. You can even bring along some magazine clippings if you like a dress like a star and can't efford it. The bikeride there is great as well; some of us had the opportunity to ride a waterbufallo.

And finally it’s allright to bring your own laptop. In most of the hotels they have free WIFI, even in Vietnam, but there (except in Saigon) Facebook is blocked, but I downloaded something and it worked fine. But they have computers in the hotel lobby and on this computers Facebook is available.

If you have any questions regarding this trip, just write me.
stefan_g
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:23 am

I have taken the Bangkok to Hanoi Adventure (the Laos part of Indochina Encompassed) in April 2009 and the Cambodia Experience in November 2011 - so 8 months ago - and I don't think the drive back from Siem Reap to Bangkok is bumby anymore, the road has obviously been paved in between. Neither myself nor anybody else in group had a problem with the cambodian part of the drive back from Siem Reap to Bangkok and the roads on the thai part are fine. Anyhow, the cambodian part takes about 2 to 2,5 hours, the longer part is the drive from the Thai-Cambodia border to Bangkok which we put back in comfortable mini vans.

For those who are worried about the drive back from Siem Reap to Bankok I would recommend taking the plane. It's also an idea for those who want to spend more than fifteen days in Thailand after finishing the tour to get a 30 day-visa (when entering Thailand by plane) instead of a 15 day-visa (when entering the country by land).
Image

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby worldtraveller » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:20 pm

Here is a Trip by G Adventures that goes to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

i need all your opinions of this
link

http://www.gadventures.com/trips/indoch ... ATIE/2012/

now tell me does this trip seem good as to covering good culture aspects and all main points each country has to offer?

I like an honest opinion to this
as many decisions of trips are to be made? here
thanks for all your help
JR
worldtraveller
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:54 pm
Location: thunder bay,ontario, canada

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby onyx007 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:16 pm

worldtraveller wrote:Here is a Trip by G Adventures that goes to Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia

i need all your opinions of this
link

http://www.gadventures.com/trips/indoch ... ATIE/2012/

now tell me does this trip seem good as to covering good culture aspects and all main points each country has to offer?

I like an honest opinion to this
as many decisions of trips are to be made? here
thanks for all your help


As I did it in February, my answer is clearly yes.
Thailand - temples in Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai
Laos - dinner at a local family place, mekong river and mountains around Luang Prabang
Vietnam - historic places from the vietnam war times and also from the imperial times in Hue, Halong Bay, Mekong Delta, Hanoi and Saigon
cambodia - Angkor Wat and the grissly sights in Pnom Phen from the Khmer Rouge time

And also the different food options in every country, it's really a great tour to visit all four countries in one trip.
Image
User avatar
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: Zürich / Switzerland

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby kiwikoalabaer77 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:48 am

Hi worldtraveller,

like onyx007 I would also suggest: go for it.

I have taken the Bangkok to Hanoi Adventure, the first (Laos) part of that trip in 2009 and went to Halong Bay afterwards on my own. And I have taken the Cambodia Experience (the Cambodian part) of this tour in November 2011. Unfortunately I couldn't do the Vietnam portion of the Indochina Encompassed but I have travelled in Northern Vietnam on my own and I've been to the South of the country as well.

The whole tour is so much worth it and you would probably have a great time.

Vanessa
Image

Stories and photos from my travels: http://www.travellingcolognian.com/
kiwikoalabaer77
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer
 
Posts: 208
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:36 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby travels 2014 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Hi,
I am thinking of doing the indochina encompassed in april, just wondered if anyone can give me any infor on what the accomodation is like along the way?
Thanks
travels 2014
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:04 pm

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby emmsie » Sat May 04, 2013 7:11 pm

I just got back from this trip and I honestly don't remember that bus trip! - you go on so many you get used to it and just enjoy the scenery :)

The trip was awesome.
emmsie
User Rank: Daytripper
User Rank: Daytripper
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby onyx007 » Tue May 14, 2013 10:51 am

travels 2014 wrote:Hi,
I am thinking of doing the indochina encompassed in april, just wondered if anyone can give me any infor on what the accomodation is like along the way?
Thanks


They are fairly good. Better than I imagined, but G-Adventures have better places then other companies.

Most of the hotels have Free-WIFI or a computer in the lobby for free use. Some have even breakfast included (even if it's not in the itinerary ). The rooms are mostly nice and quite and most of all very clean. The only hotels I didn't like that much, where the one in Hanoi and Saigon, but that was mostly because of the loud AC and the location with the traffic noise.

The one in Hoi An and in Siem Riep had even Swimming Pools. I would rate all hotels a 3 star-range by european/us-standards.
Image
User avatar
onyx007
User Rank: World Wanderer
User Rank: World Wanderer
 
Posts: 219
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:08 pm
Location: Zürich / Switzerland

Re: Indochina Encompassed Tour ATIE

Postby nytim » Tue May 14, 2013 10:58 am

Beer cures all ailments.
User avatar
nytim
User Rank: Nomad
User Rank: Nomad
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 pm
Location: New York

Previous

Return to Asia

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest